Whisky Row Rich and Spicy Blended Malt (46%, Gleann Mor Spirits, 2020)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: Whisky Row, Gleann Mor Spirits
- Category: Blended malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £39.95 from Royal Mile Whiskies
- Origin: n/a
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Whisky Row is a series of blended malt whiskies from Gleann Mor Spirits named after a forgotten street name in Leith, Edinburgh which was one of the centres of Scotch whisky warehousing in 19th and 20th centuries.
Official tasting notes:
The Rich and Spicy edition uses whiskies matured in ex-sherry casks creating a rich, characterful dram with lots of dark chocolate, spice and toffee notes.
What I say
Dram #1 from Edinburgh University Water of Life Society tasting 102 ‘Types of whisky’. The game here was to guess the type, with so much wood influence and very little distinct spirit character I got suckered into thinking this was a bourbon!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark brown (17/20), medium tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Woody and tannic and plenty of rubber, popcorn, bubblegum, spiced cinnamon, cheroot cigars, tobacco leaf and lots of dark chocolate.
- Taste: Neutral on the palate, medium bodied, opens eventually to chocolate, oak wood, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, raisins and coffee.
- Finish: Medium-long, drying and more woody spices.
Sherry influenced but a little neutral and bland to begin with, develops with air and possibly a drop of water. very woody, tasted blind this initially reminded me of some of the Balcones Bourbon and single malt expressions, also very wood oriented.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review