Writers Tears Cask Strength 2018 Edition (53%, OB, 5175 Bottles, 2018)
- ABV: 53%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Blended Irish whiskey
- Cost: £105.99
- Origin: n/a
- Vintage: undisclosed
What they say
Another annual release of the fabulous Writers Tears Irish whiskey! This 2018 edition was released at cask strength, 53% ABV, with only 5,175 bottles. The packaging shows a development of the design introduced for the 2017 edition, an artistic version of the whiskey distilling process.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: A complex nose of toasted cereal, almond oils, creamy chocolate and sweet floral notes.
- Palate: Wild honey, summer fruits and fresh ginger all underpinned by a spicy single pot still base.
- Finish: A delicate, warm and lingering finish.
What I say
A Cask strength edition of Walsh Whiskey’s Writers Tears blended Irish Whiskey. Bottled at 56.3% ABV.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (11/20), medium tears and medium legs.
- Nose: Soft apple and pear fruits, honey, vanilla, nutty almond and hazelnut, floral blossom, woody oak and milk chocolate.
- Taste: Sweet, honeyed & gentle cereals, malted milk biscuits, orchard fruits; apple, pear, also some blackcurrant and raspberry woodland berries, soft-spiced gingerbread biscuits, rye bread and orange peel.
- Finish: Medium, warming, moist/just baked gingerbread biscuits prevail.
An interesting foray into cask strength Irish Whisky. Approachable at presentation strength and just that little bit more flavourful and intense on the palate. Thankfully everything is soft and well presented here making this very drinkable and enjoyable.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Writers Tears