New Town Blends – The Surgeons Ball
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: Edinburgh Whisky Ltd.
- Category: Blended malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £40.85
- Origin: n/a
- Vintage: Undisclosed
What they say
A peaty expression from Edinburgh Whisky Ltd.’s New Town Blends series, titled The Surgeons Ball. Featuring hearty helpings of smoky Highland malts, this blended malt will be a tasty treat for chilly evenings…
Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
- Nose: BBQ’d burnt ends, toasted sugar, Eccles cakes and a hint of charred oak.
- Palate: Orange peel and vanilla ice-cream, earthy smoke and melted chocolate.
- Finish: Hints of peat go on and on…
What I say
Produced by Edinburgh Whisky Ltd. this The Surgeons Ball expression is a blend of Highland malt whiskies.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Pale rose gold (3/20), quick, medium tears and long fine legs.
- Nose: Barley malt, toffee, peat, lactic & young, new make, toffee, vanilla, very voltaile aromas shifting, peat, mossy, slightly phenolic, boiled cabbage, dry salty beef / coastal and meaty?
- Taste: Light bodied, vanilla, cream, peat, germolene, dentist office, disinfectant, phenol, slightly green, mossy, lichen, green banana, pear, barley grist, oily and buttery eventually.
- Finish: Shorter than expected, vanilla, barley than vaporous peaty influence with cereals present.
A bit of a Jekyll & Hyde (apt?) dram, quite mobile on the palate but generally pleasing. Doesn’t hide its youth very well.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review