Penderyn Sherrywood (46%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Welsh single malt whisky
- Cost: £43.95
- Origin: Penderyn distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
The Penderyn Sherrywood in this bottle has been aged in ex-bourbon barrels and ex-Oloroso sherry casks to bring out its rich fruity flavour.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: aromas of dark fruit and rich toffee mingle with green apples and hazelnuts to create a deeper mystery
- Palate: rich sweetness gives way to refreshing dryness
- Finish: sweet notes of toffee and sultana persist in the long finish
- Balance: Sherry and oak/winter spices
What I say
Sampled during the #PenderynWhisky Tweet tasting held on St David’s Day (1st March) 2020.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Sauternes gold (7/20), large tears, strong medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet, apple and raisin, bramble jam, strudel (apple, cinnamon, pastry, raisin), leather and spice, hint of tobacco leaf, vanilla thickens and becomes cloying, dunnage warehouse, marmalade and chocolate orange.
- Taste: Full-bodied, malty, caramel sauce and apple puree/apple pie filling, raisin, strudel, treacle tart, Demerara sugar and dark chocolate orange.
- Finish: Sweet and spiced, becomes drying, tobacco leaf and cinnamon, later rose & lemon Turkish delight.
A much more balanced expression than an out and out Sherrybomb!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: World Whisky