Penderyn Peated (46%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Welsh single malt whisky
- Cost: £42.95
- Origin: Penderyn distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
This whisky has a delicate spirit with a medium peaty character and a light golden tone. It is bottled at 46% abv.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: It introduces itself with sweet, aromatic smoke. Under this, there are signature notes of vanilla, green apple and refreshing citrus
- Palate: An array of gentle flavours tempts even the most sophisticated palate
- Finish: Smoke and vanilla linger on the attractive medium-length finish.
- Balance: Light smoke/citrus fruitiness
What I say
Sampled during the #PenderynWhisky Tweet tasting held on St David’s Day (1st March) 2020.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Pale gold (3/20), medium tears, long fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet, cereal, oaty, honey flapjack, dried grains, subtle medicinal-like peat, iodine, TCP from a long way off and sticking plasters, toasted almond and a little paste/marzipan, again vanilla thickens and is joined by lemon curd and foam bananas.
- Taste: Medium-full bodied, creamy and oily, malted cereal barley, porridge, touches of honey and lemon, foam banana sweeties and subtle aniseed balls, tarragon and wintergreen mixed with salted caramel.
- Finish: Long, toasted, salted almonds mixed with a little peat ash
This has grown on me a lot since my last tasting of this expression. The smoke seems much more subtle, present on the nose and delightfully in the finish but ethereal on the palate.
Don’t take my word for it:
More Drams Less Drama Reviews Penderyn peated
Bloggers submit link to your review
1 reply »