Courvoisier VSOP (40%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 40 %
- Age: 8-12 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: French Cognac
- Cost: £28
- Origin: Courvoisier distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
Grande and Petite Champagnes bring harmony while Fins Bois give a floral and fruity character.
“Very smooth with an excellent balance of oak and floral flavours that can be fully appreciated neat or mixed with ice and water, it’s also excellent with long drinks.”
This skillfully crafted cognac is a blend of several crus with a perfect balance between Fins Bois, Grande and Petite Champagnes at the peak of their aromatic potential.
Peach: When the cognac is distilled and aged, it begins to conjure the soft, luscious aroma of ripe peach.
Toasted almonds: After several years in our French fine-grained oak barrels, the spirit develops nutty notes and ages to produce a sweet, caramelized flavor resembling that of toasted almonds.
Jasmine: The distillation on the lees is a complex and meticulous process but it gives fruity and musk notes, evoking jasmine aroma.
What I say
A classic French Cognac, Courvoisier VSOP is a brandy made from fermenting grapes (typically Ugni blanc or Saint-Emilion) and double distillation in copper pot stills before maturing in French oak barrels from Troncais and Limousin forests. This VSOP expression comes from barrels aged around 8-12 years. Courvoisier is owned by Beam Suntory and is based in the town of Jarnac in the Charente department.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Golden brown (12/20), quick, medium tears and legs.
- Nose: Toffee apple, red grape, date, golden syrup sponge pudding, herbal, chicory, coffee beans, toffee, oak wood, vanilla and raisin.
- Taste: Latte coffee, caramelized syrup or light treacle, toffee apples, oak wood, herbal cinnamon, caramelised apple slices, toasted almonds and raisins.
- Finish: Medium-long, cinnamon, oak wood, fruity apple, toffee and caramel.
Subtle and silky smooth, this is full of caramelised apples and oak wood with a nice touch of herbality.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review