Strathclyde 31 Years Old Batch 4 (45%, That Boutique-Y Whisky Company, 2019)
- ABV: 45%
- Age: 31 years Old
- Bottling: That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Category: Single grain scotch whisky
- Cost: £?
- Origin: Strathclyde distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
Toasting or indeed charring the insides of casks changes the chemical composition of the wood. Some of you may wish to understand all the reactions that take place and the susbtances released or created and how they lead to yummy flavours in your whisky. For those less interested in the scientific explanation, suffice to say that “fire made it good”. Strathclyde grain whisky distillery is located in Glasgow, across the river from the People’s Palace and Winter Gardens.
Official tasting notes (from 30yo Batch 1):
- Nose: Buttery vanilla, almond, coconut and caramel – or should that be hydroxymethylfurfural, vanillin, furfural, cis-3-methyl-4-octanolide and 3-methylcyclopentane-1,2-dione?
- Palate: More caramel, plenty of nutmeg, blondies and touches of raspberry cookie.
- Finish: Creamy marzipan.
What I say
Door #10 in That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s 2019 Advent Calendar is this 31 year old single grain hailing from Strathclyde distillery in Glasgow.
This post was sponsored by That Boutique-Y Whisky Company by provision of their 2019 Advent Calendar.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amber gold (8/20), quick, large tears and medium-fine legs.
- Nose: Fresh vanilla pods, hints of citrus lime and lemon, woody oak, sweet and cloying honey and golden syrup, fried bananas and pineapples in syrup.
- Taste: Sweet, dried banana chips, honey, vanilla custard, toasty oak, a little lemon tart, buttery shortcrust pastry, white chocolate buttons or jazzies.
- Finish: Medium, vanilla custard, white chocolate and lemon zest.
Sweet and delicious – a well aged vanilla-filled grain whisky.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review