Goslings Family Reserve Old Rum
- Category: Bermuda Rum
- Origin: Bermuda
- Bottling: Goslings
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £54.95 available from Amazon
What they say
Appropriately called Gosling’s Family Reserve Old Rum, it’s crafted from the same incomparable Bermuda blend as our renowned Black Seal Rum. But, we age it in our dark barrels even longer, until it acquires an extra luscious, nuanced complexity much like a rare Scotch or Cognac. Consider it the ultimate sipping rum. We do.
So we carefully hand label each bottle, dip it in wax, number it, encircle it with a metal band, then place it in a straw-filled wooden box reminiscent of days past.
What I say
Sampled during the #GoslingsRum tweet tasting hosted by Steve @TheWhiskyWire on 9th October 2019
A blend of 16-21 year old pot and continuous still rums, made from molasses and aged in ex-bourbon barrels.
My tasting notes
- Appearance: Dark golden brown (18/20) rare medium tears and legs
- Nose: Sweet and woody, a little cherry chewing tobacco, cigar box and leather with some dark chocolate orange and dunnage warehouses
- Taste: Toffee and chocolate, a hint of orange oil, black cherry, woody, oak and cherrywood and cheroot cigars
- Finish: Long, stewed dark fruit and bitter oak wood
Appealing to both my rum and whisky palate, this well aged example is edging into Rancio territory with masses of oak wood influence and still plenty of sweetness too.
Don’t take my word for it
Bloggers submit link to your review