BenRiach 9 Years Old 2009 Virgin Oak #6095 (58.5%, OB, Batch 16, 322 Bottles, 2019)
- ABV: 58.5%
- Age: 9 Years Old
- Bottling: OB, Single Cask releases Batch 16
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £71.41
- Origin: Benriach distillery
- Vintage: 2009
What they say
Founded in 1898, BenRiach Distillery has long been the home of an ingenious approach to whisky distilling and cask maturation. The release of BenRiach Cask Bottling Batch 16 offers a rich insight into the eclectic cask collection from around the world residing in the warehouses of this north Speyside distillery. Master Blender, Dr. Rachel Barrie, has hand-selected 24 different casks to feature in this limited edition batch release, showcasing an exceptional range of hand-crafted cask bottlings, in both unpeated and peated styles.
Batch 16 includes 16 unpeated and 8 peated cask bottlings from a selection of cask types sourced from around the world: Tokaji wine, oloroso sherry, pedro ximénez, port, claret, madeira, sauternes, virgin oak, South African red wine, Jamaican rum, rioja, Sicilian Marsala, and bourbon. Each bottle is filled exclusively from one of these individual cask types. From this batch, 12 casks will be available in Europe and 12 casks in Asia Pacific, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Master Blender Dr. Rachel Barrie said:
“There is no better insight into our intriguing palette of flavour than BenRiach Cask Bottling Batch 16. Featuring 24 different casks, this release provides a rare opportunity to explore the many facets of BenRiach maturation in one batch, something us whisky makers are lucky to do every day. Batch 16 offers the sweet side of Sicilian Marsala wood, smoked plum of the Rioja cask and a dark manuka honey palate of the 30 year old Tokaji; there is a journey and a story behind each cask bottling to be enjoyed by whisky explorers.”
BenRiach Cask Bottling Release – Batch 16 is available to purchase from specialist retailers from June 2019 in Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. Depending on the expression, the ABV ranges from 46.5% to 61.6%. All are non-chill filtered and of natural colour.
Official tasting notes:
- 2009 #6095
- Aged: 9 years
- Cask Type: Virgin Oak
- Appearance: Dark orange sunset.
- Nose: Warm toasted oak, thick maple syrup and sandalwood with layers of brown sugar, caramel and vanilla.
- Palate: Chocolate caramel, vanilla and dried apricot finishing with hazelnut, honeycomb and candied apple.
- ABV: 58.5%
What I say
From Benriach’s 16th batch (2019) of their single cask series, allocated for European release this is a 2009 vintage matured for 9 years in a virgin oak cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full amber gold (9/20), numerous fine tears and tapered legs.
- Nose: Fruity and gristy, milled barley malt, apple, peach, melon, kiwi, slightly milky and lactic spirit or new make like, lashings of vanilla cream.
- Taste: Polished wood, fruit medley, apple, apricot, spiced cinnamon and nutmeg, hazelnut, caramelised almonds, chocolate, honey, spiced vanilla latte.
- Finish: Long, honey roast hazelnuts and more spiced caramel latte.
Finally a virgin oak expression I really rather enjoyed. Lots of Benriach cereal notes in here and very complimentary spice, honey and nutty qualities combine to give a delicious caramel spiced latte coffee like nature to this.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review