Longmorn 25 Years Old 1990 7.130 Musky, floral, sweet perfumes (55.1%, SMWS, Refill Ex-Bourbon HH, 240 Bottles, 2016)
- ABV: 55.1%
- Age: 25 Years Old
- Bottling: SMWS, Cask 7.130
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £130
- Origin: Longmorn Distillery
- Vintage: 1990
What they say
The nose was old and complex, with musky floral, sweet perfumes, vanilla, blackcurrant, wine gums, honey on toast and quite a bit of apple (apple pie, oak-aged Calvados). The palate was very tasty indeed – flans and pastries bursting with apple, pear, blackcurrant, plum and almond, but with a nice balancing heat of ginger, cinnamon, clove and tobacco. The reduced nose was deliciously exotic – apple and plum orchards (fruits and blossoms), acacia honey and Anton Berg chocolates (plum, marzipan and dark chocolate). The reduced palate had similar flavours and an impressive range from juicy lychees to dry, spicy wood.
What I say
The second of my SMWS 25 year old samples was from one of my favoured distilleries, Longmorn. Distilled 15th June 1990 and matured for 25 years in a refill ex-bourbon hogshead.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (7/20), fine tears, beaded on thin legs.
- Nose: Fragrant, floral, honey, honeysuckle, apple, vanilla, apple strudel, cinnamon and ginger spices.
- Taste: Apple pie and honey with vanilla custard, sandalwood, cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of ginger spices, medium-full bodied, this also head pear and plum compote a hints of mint and aniseed.
- Finish: Long, fruity and oaky
A delicious aged Longmorn full of fragrant and fruity notes and a good helping of complimentary woody spices. Again a very true to form whisky expression redolent of Longmorn distillery character and aged to perfection in a refill hoggie for just the right balance of spirit and cask influences, approaching perfection.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt