Benromach 15 Years Old
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Benromach distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 43%
- Cost: £51.83
What they say
Pour yourself a dram of Benromach 15 Years Old. Lift it to the light and note the especially golden amber colour, thanks to the long maturation in sherry and bourbon casks. Now swill it around your glass and take a few little inhalations to savour the AROMA WITHOUT WATER… there’s a lot going on… beautifully balanced sherry aromas with vanilla pod, zesty orange and spicy ginger complemented by delicate chamomile and menthol notes. Now sip your dram, roll the whisky around your mouth and enjoy the TASTE WITHOUT WATER… there’s luscious, rich fruit cake with stewed plum, red apple skin and the sharp edge of kiwi fruit. Next, take in the AROMA WITH WATER… the whisky shifts into another gear with subtle hints of cocoa, nutmeg and cinnamon giving way to sweet honey notes and hints of bonfire embers. Add a drop or two of water to release the full TASTE WITH WATER… it’s a very satisfying palate with traces of charred oak complementing sweet tangerine, plum and nectarines… completed by a gorgeous touch of milk chocolate. Tell us what you think.
The longer maturation softens its smokiness to hints of charred smoke while developing the wood imbued character of succulent honey, vanilla and fruit.
What I say
Distilled at Benromach distillery in Speyside and matured for a minimum of 10 years. Matured in ex-Bourbon and ex-Sherry casks for a minimum of 15 years.
Thanks to Benromach for the festive sample and timely revisit to this expression.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Orange amber-gold (12/20), rounded, medium-fine drops and long, fine legs.
- Nose: Zesty, fruity, deep orange, blood orange, red grapefruit, heather honey, malty cereal barley, a touch of smoke, milky vanilla, ginger, milk chocolate, sherry trifle, a little floral too.
- Taste: Initially light on the palate, structure and weight builds and becomes sweet and syrupy, like honey on the tongue, gentle fruits, again plenty of orange/marmalade and a touch of zest combines with ginger, a subtle smoke wafts over a sweet and floral background, adding a bitterness like dark chocolate coated coffee beans, definitely something roasted, sweet chestnut perhaps with nutmeg and cinnamon roasted over oak wood.
- Finish: Long, dark chocolate gingers, roasted coffee bean and treacle toffee, becomes dry and a little spicy with ginger, clove and pepper.
A wonderfully complex dram with zesty fruits, chocolate and sherry influences, the added maturation adds a little more oak wood influence and spice over the 10 year old and 100° Proof expressions. A great price for a characterful 15 Year Old Speyside whisky.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review