Glenfiddich 15 Years Old Unique Solera Reserve (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenfiddich distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £38.95
What they say
Exemplifying our family’s tradition of innovation, our 15 Year Old expression is created using a technique pioneered by our Malt Master and its warm, spicy flavours are transformed with the alchemy of the Solera Vat.
Aged in European oak sherry casks and new oak casks, the whisky is mellowed in our unique Solera Vat, a large oak tun inspired by the sherry bodegas of Spain and Portugal.
Never emptied, and kept half full of whiskies since 1998, our Solera Vat is the culmination of curious minds and the pioneering spirit of our family. It’s also the secret behind this whisky becoming the first 15 year old expression to enter the top ten best selling single malts.
Official tasting notes:
- COLOUR Golden, a red hue
- NOSE An intriguingly complex aroma. Sweet heather honey and vanilla fudge combined with rich dark fruits.
- TASTE Silky smooth, revealing layers of sherry oak, marzipan, cinnamon and ginger. Full-bodied and bursting with flavour.
- FINISH Satisfyingly rich with lingering sweetness.
What I say
Door #14 of the Drinks by the dram Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar.
Distilled at Glenfiddich and matured for a minimum of 15 years before vatting into their ‘Solera’ tun. Never emptied since it was started, some of the whisky in this tun must be of some age now! Here it rests for a period to integrate with the tun contents before bottling.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Copper gold (12/20), slow, medium tears, long, fine legs.
- Nose: Fruity and sweet; fresh pear, apple, orange peel and oil, vanilla, biscuity cereal , honey, fudge, sour dough or cookie dough, sweet and yeasty.
- Taste: Smooth and light on the palate, sugary and soft fudge or toffee, softened orchard fruits, reduced in butter, citrus orange, soft buttery and biscuity malt.
- Finish: Medium-long, a mixture of savoury and sweet like herbal infused heather honey, a touch of sour oak wood.
The Glenfiddich 15 Year Old solera reserve is still one of my firm favourite whiskies and it is easy to see why this has been so well awarded. Simply well-crafted deliciousness.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt