Tamdhu Batch Strength 3 (58.3%, OB, 2017)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Tamdhu distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 58.3%
- Cost: £59.99
What they say
Introducing the third edition of our multi award-winning Batch Strength Series. A malt that whisky connoisseurs would be proud to have in their cabinet, Batch Strength 003 is bottled un-chillfiltered at natural colour and at 58.3%. It boasts a complex richness and deep intensity, all thanks to the exclusive maturation in hand-selected sherry oak casks. As with each batch in the series, Batch Strength 003 is distinctive and differs slightly in style and strength, so your first sip is sure to hold some anticipation.
We think it’s the closest you’ll get to sampling a dram direct from the cask.
Official tasting notes:
- Aroma: Savour hints of vanilla and winter berries with a touch of freshly-shelled nuts, balanced by aged oak.
- Taste: On the palate, hints of sherry oak develop to dried fruit and warming spices, adding a drop of water reveals a fresh citrus zest and rich apricot.
- Finish: After the first sip, aromas of freshly baked fruitcake with orange peel continue long into the finish.
What I say
Door #6 of the Drinks by the dram Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar.
Distilled at Tamdhu and matured in ex-Sherry casks which are hand-selected and married together to produce this Batch Strength edition.
Batch 003 is bottled at 58.3% ABV
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Burgundy (15/20), slow, medium tears and fine, beaded legs.
- Nose: Musty and leathery, dried fruits, sherry, toffee, raisins, red berries, cherries, black forest gateaux, banana bread, malt loaf, some spice and spirity burn
- Taste: Spiced treacle toffee, ginger and orange marmalade, raisin, fig, cinnamon, jammy damson and strawberry, barley malt, dark chocolate and cherry, more black forest gateaux with vanilla cream.
- Finish: Long, spiced, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, malty chocolate cake.
Very sherried and a little spirity at points, this is full of dark chocolate and red fruits which combine wonderfully here.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review