Glentauchers 11 Years Old 2006 63.49 In the dark of the abyss (60.6%, SMWS, Refill Oloroso Butt, 549 Bottles, 2018)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glentauchers distillery
- Bottling: SMWS, Cask #63.49
- ABV: 60.6%
- Cost: £sold out
What they say
|DATE DISTILLED||29th June 2006|
|CASK TYPE||Refill Ex-Oloroso Sherry Butt|
|OUTTURN||1 of 549 bottles|
Official tasting notes:
We found ourselves being drawn in by a spectacular opulence as walls of walnuts and figs closed in around us. Things became as dark as bitter chocolate, yet from the shadows we could make out dates and mangos bound in leather and molasses. The oxidised familiarity of oloroso sherry came whistling from deep below and joined the tangy sweetness of orange liqueur mixed with Chinese 5 spice. This citrus edge evolved into ginger and marmalade with the boozy fruit of a Christmas pudding. Trekking down through the tenebrosity we tripped over the banana skin of our own imagination and landed amongst nutmeg, almonds and brazil nuts but finally settled on praline and cinnamon with a strong influence of oak.
What I say
Sampled as part of the #SMWSat35 virtual tasting led by Master Brand Ambassador John McCheyne from The Vaults venue in Leith.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Burgundy (15/20), fine tears and very fine legs
- Nose: Cherry, fig, dried fruit, raisin, treacle, chocolate,
- Taste: Sharp, cayenne pepper, cordite, nutmeg, cinnamon, then dried fruits, fig, date, grapefruit, zesty, sharp (again!).
- Finish: Long, smoke and spiced wood,
A beautifully over-sherried anything. Sold like hot cakes because of its dark colour. Lots of overtly sherry-like influence only not the good bits. Too spicy, too burnt. Not a trace of Glentauchers left. A great swig, probably better with water but it could take some time to find the right amount to dilute this one with.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt