Whisky Review: London Single Malt Spirit Sherry 2 Years Old
- Category: Single Malt Spirit
- Origin: Bimber distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 63.2%
- Cost: £250 (pre-release)
What they say
FIRST RELEASE PRE-SALE
This London Single Malt is made from English barley, floor malted in the old-fashioned way, creating a unique malt of outstanding quality. Double distilled in traditional copper pot stills for a refined & complex flavour. Maturing in first-fill specially selected ex-Pedro Ximenez Sherry casks at Bimber Distillery, allowing for the full influence of the cask to be imparted on to the whisky.
- Cask31 – ex-P X Sherry – 250 litres
- Filled date: 07.2016
- Non-chill filtered
- Natural cask strength
- Natural colour
- Single cask
The Sherry Cask Matured release is the first of its kind .This single malt spirit will mature into whisky in 2019, when we will bottle and release a single cask.(Limited to 200 bottles)
This limited release of 200 bottles only is available to purchase now. If you would like to reserve a specific bottle number, please contact us directly.
After purchasing, you will receive samples from the cask as it matures, starting with the new-make spirit and a certificate of ownership:
Upon purchase: Certificate of ownership
2019: 1x 70cl Bimber Single Malt London Whisky in wooden box (Sherry cask matured, single cask, one of 200 bottles only)
You will also become a lifetime member of Bimber Distillery’s Whisky Club, receiving advanced notification of all future releases, as well as 10% discount on direct purchases of all Bimber products.
What I say
Thanks to Bimber distillery for the sample
Distilled at Bimber distillery in 2016 and filled into ex-Pedro Ximenez sherry cask #031, this sample was drawn at 2 years old in 2018 at 63.2% ABV.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Burnished copper (10/20), rare, slow, medium-fine tears and tapered legs.
- Nose: Quite spirity and spiced, freshly grated cinnamon and nutmeg, pine-nut and fresh apple, pear, peach and apricot, initially, then residual malt, toffee and nut, cinnamon and hazelnut latte, butterscotch and soft suede leather.
- Taste: Much more rounded and full-bodied, a strong malt and toffee backbone, plenty of chopped mixed nuts, a polished edge to the toffee precedes a burst of finely milled baking spices, peanut brittle relaxes into hazelnuts, roasted, pureed and a little mixed with cocoa/chocolate like Nutella spread on a croissant.
- Finish: Long, nutty, vaporous (at cask strength) with nutty oak tannins and hints of cinnamon, lacks a little sweetness?
A delicious 2 year old PX matured sample suggest this first ‘Sherry Cask Matured’ expression that is going to be full of the classic nut, toffee and chocolate flavours that PX bestows.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review