London Single Malt Spirit Port 2 Years Old (62.5%, OB, Port Cask #39, 2018)
- Category: Single Malt Spirit
- Origin: Bimber distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 62.5%
- Cost: £250 (pre-release)
What they say
FIRST RELEASE PRE-SALE
This London Single Malt is made from English barley, floor malted in the old-fashioned way, creating a unique malt of outstanding quality. Double distilled in traditional copper pot stills for a refined & complex flavour. Maturing in first fill specially selected ex-Port casks, at Bimber Distillery, allowing for the full influence of the cask to be imparted on to the whisky.
- Cask No.39 – ex Port – 255 litres
- Filled date: 06.08.2016
- Non-chill filtered
- Natural cask strength
- Natural colour
- Single cask
The Port Cask Matured release is the first of its kind. This single malt spirit will mature into whisky in 2019, when we will bottle and release a single cask. (Limited to 200 bottles)
This limited release of 200 bottles only is available to purchase now. If you would like to reserve a specific bottle number, please contact us directly.
Upon purchase: Certificate of ownership
2019: 1x 70cl Bimber Single Malt London Whisky in wooden box (Port cask matured, single cask, one of 200 bottles only)
You will also become a lifetime member of Bimber Distillery’s Whisky Club, receiving advanced notification of all future releases, as well as 10% discount on direct purchases of all Bimber products.
What I say
Thanks to Bimber distillery for the sample
Distilled at Bimber distillery in 2016 and filled into an ex-Port cask #39, this sample was drawn in 2018 at 62.5% ABV.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Ruby amber & rose gold (13/20), medium-large, oily legs resolve to fine, rare, medium-fine tears follow.
- Nose: Light candy floss, raspberry ripple ice-cream, Devon cream tea (sweet scone with strawberry jam and cream), tart strawberry jam, a mixture of gristy and biscuity cereal and a distinct musty, damp wood or mushroom/fungal note
- Taste: Full-bodied, oily, malty, sharp and slightly acidic or tart berry fruits, strawberry, blackcurrant, rowan jelly, a slightly tinny and metallic note, tinned fruit cocktail especially with cherries, some darker cherry malt loaf and cask char.
- Finish: Long, malty, sweet, spice and must plus slightly ascerbic and drying.
Diminishing, from nose to finish. The nose is there or thereabouts, even a lovely musty wood smell that suggest old Port maturing in the cellars. The palate still carries a little tin from the new make spirit though the finish is balanced just right. Given time this is going to be a Port-lovers (or Port matured whisky-lovers) dream!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review