Whisky Review: Paul John Peated Select Cask
- Category: Indian single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Paul John distillery
- Bottling: Paul John, OB
- ABV: 55.5%
- Cost: £59.95
What they say
One never tires of Goa. From exploring its various personalities, its past, its present, its sheer decadence or perky cheer. For the true explorer, Goa always has a surprise tucked up its sleeve. Much like the Paul John Select Cask Peated. This Single Malt astonishes even a seasoned whisky aficionado. Unexpected flavours balance each other, offering the perfect tipple. It is a wholesome Goan experience, packed into every sip.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Golden mahogany.
- Nose: The smoky, sweet and earthy fragrances have mellow resonances of spice.
- Palate: As the crisp Muscovado and Demerara sugars create layered nuances, the smokiness of the Single Malt sets in, creating a perfect balance. A hint of spice radiates from the hickory and Dominican-style cocoa.
- Finish: The delicate finish of this Single Malt has notes of Dominican cocoa laced with the tart edge of marmalade.
- Pairing: This extremely complex whisky needs food that can complement it well. Tender, juicy steaks and blue cheese can help you unravel every nuance of this magnificent malt from Goa.
What I say
Revisited during Livingston Whisky Club Paul John Tasting hosted by their brand ambassador Shilton Almeida on 3rd August 2018.
Dram #5 was this Peated Select Cask, batches of around 50 casks are identified for their superior maturation quality and married together, remaining at cask strength for bottling. The minimum age is around 6 years old and for this edition only casks made from Highland or Islay-peated malt are used.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Darkorange bronze (11/20), medium-large and oily tears leave medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and fruity with oranges and peach, fresh leather, barley malt, heather and grassy, peat smoke, nutty and spiced.
- Taste: Chewy barley malt, toffee, suede leather, melting butter, fudge, toffee, mossy/earthy peat and spices develop, cinnamon, black pepper, cocoa powder
- Finish: Long, peated, crisp, spiced-peat, eucalyptus and hints of wintergreen oil.
Even more fun at Select Cask strength, this peated edition presents the ideal sweet and peaty mixture again with a chewy cereal backbone to this whisky.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review