Whisky Review: Paul John Classic Select Cask
- Category: Indian single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Paul John distillery
- Bottling: Paul John, OB
- ABV: 55.2%
- Cost: £55.96
What they say
Explore tropical Goa in every sip of the Select Cask Classic. The lush freshness of this Single Malt envelops you from the very beginning. To give you this experience, we’ve matured it in selectively chosen cask profiles and bottled it without chill filtration, at cask strength. Relish the tropical rush, Goan style.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Rich amber.
- Nose: Fruity, malty aromas are intertwined with honey. A hint of bourbon teases your senses.
- Palate: With the very first sip, flavours of malted barley greet you. A heady mix of bourbon and manuka honey-liquorice makes for an attractive spine. And while you relish this experience, the unexpected flavour of toasted honeycomb takes you by surprise.
- Finish: This Single Malt has an absolutely elegant finish, with juicy Demerara tones ensuring a soft, friendly finish.
- Pairing: The spices from the oak and the mellowness of this elegant Indian classic are a perfect match for smoked salmon, ham or a sinful chocolate soufflé.
What I say
Revisited during Livingston Whisky Club Paul John Tasting hosted by their brand ambassador Shilton Almeida on 3rd August 2018.
Dram #2 was this Classic Select Cask expression from their Flagship range. Produced in the same way as Brilliance using unpeated 6-row barley and matured in American oak ex-Bourbon casks, batches of around 50 casks are identified for their superior maturation quality and married together, remaining at cask strength for bottling. The minimum age is around 6 years old, and batches (noted by number on the bottle) have been progressively using older stock as it becomes available. Some of the casks used will have been matured in climate-controlled underground cellars, which bestow a more fruity nature to the whisky.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark bronze (11/20), medium-large tears and long legs.
- Nose: A little solventy spirit and esters initially develop into rich and tropical fruits, pineapple fritters, banana, dried mango pieces, cereal malt and honey & vanilla sweetness of the brilliance are still present.
- Taste: Sweet and smooth, almost liqueur like, barley malt, tropical fruit; pineapple, banana, mango, drier and creamier on the palate than the Brilliance expression, fudge, soft toffee or Scottish tablet, sugary mixed fruit paste, membrillo or creamed Quince paste perhaps?
- Finish: Medium-long, slightly sour, some pepper spice and a prickle of heat, sweet tropical fruits.
A definite improvement over the already impressive Brilliance. Select cask brings a lot more flavours to the palate which are delivered beautifully and very drinkable at 55.2% ABV, a little water softens it and reveals further more. Definitely one to watch how it develops over coming batches!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review