Rock Oyster Cask Strength Batch 2 (56.1%, Douglas Laing, 2018)
- Category: Island blended malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Various incl; Arran, Jura and Orkney distilleries.
- Bottling: Douglas Laing, Remarkable Regional Malts
- ABV: 56.1%
- Cost: £46.95
What they say
ntroducing Douglas Laing’s Rock Oyster Cask Strength; the super-charged partner to the original Rock Oyster bottled at 56.1% ABV. Containing the finest Malt Whiskies from Scotland’s Whisky Islands, including those distilled on Islay, Arran, Orkney and Jura, this Limited Edition delivers a massive amplification of all those coastal qualities from the original Rock Oyster.
Official tasting notes
- Anticipate a blast of sea air on the nose and a tempestuously oceanic storm on the palate. Rock Oyster Cask Strength delivers a big peat hit full of Islay phenols, iodine and coal dust, with a shake of pepper softening to a distinct honey sweetness from the Arran casks. The Isle of Jura brings waves of citrus and barley to the mix, and Orkney fetches up some salt from the deep.
What I say
Sampled during #RockOyster twitter tasting on National Oyster Day with Great Drams and Douglas Laing’s Remarkable Malts. This is the standard Rock Oyster Blended Malt Whisky served at unreduced i.e. Cask Strength, batch 2 coming in at 56.1% ABV.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Pale champagne gold (3/20),
- Nose: Ooomph back to the classic nose of sweet and peaty, coastal sea spray with lashings of fresh lemon juice now, lemon fairy liquid, fresh linen, malty, gristy, biscuit, cereals, bran, chewy cereal bars, tobacco leaf and oak wood,
- Taste: Creamy/milky a touch malty and lactic almost new make spirit – even Islay new make spirit, grist/bran, chamois leather, menthol/eucalyptus-like peat, slightly phenolic and medicinal, sea salted and honey-roasted smoked nuts, citrus lime juice – a little ‘classic margarita’ like combined with the salt.
- Finish: Long, salt and sweet, candied peel and peat smoke.
A powerful addition or alternative to the standard Rock Oyster blend well worth a try.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review