Whisky Review: Balcones Texas single malt “1” Classic Edition
- Category: Texas single malt whisky
- Origin: Balcones distillery
- Bottling: Balcones, Official
- ABV: 53%
- Cost: £84.80
What they say
A timeless style of malt whisky, Balcones “1” Texas Single Malt breathes new life into centuries of distilling tradition with classic techniques and ingredients adapted for New World tastes.
Opening aromas bear hints of toffee and overripe fruits. On the palate, layers of toasted malt and honey give way to mellow notes of baked pears and apples.
A long finish is accompanied by cinnamon and cloves. Texas made, Texas proud, we hope you enjoy the whisky we owe our success to as much as we enjoy making it.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose – ripe, buttered stone fruit, banana and pears; honey and rose water with delicate citrus accents
- Taste – silky and full on the palate; lightly toasted bread with fresh butter and marmalade
- Finish – long finish with lingering toast and burnt sugar notes morphing into rich malt and wood flavors with counterbalancing acidity
What I say
Sampled during the the #DrinkCraft 4th of July Tweet Tasting
Distilled from malted barley at the Balcones distillery and ‘yard’ aged in ex-Bourbon American oak casks to create the eponymous Texas single malt whisky.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Ruby bronze (13/20), numerous fine/beaded tears leave occasional fine legs.
- Nose: Caramel and toffee butter popcorn, fairground food stalls (without the diesel generator smell), fried cornbread, there are some lighter notes behind the spirit too, fresh apple and pear
- Taste: Sweet and rounded, integrated butter caramel, perfect balance of sugar, salt and butteriness – like a well-buttered scone, dash of fresh lemon and lime juice and some light woody spices and fruit tea tannins.
- Finish: Dry spicy, hot, cinnamon, pepper, a little of the sweetness but eventually spices burn it off
A delicious and flavour-full single malt expression from Balcones that combines the complexity of single malt whisky with the power of bourbon-style maturation. Rated by many as one of the best ‘standard’ expressions from Balcones distillery, I find it hard to disagree.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review