Widow Jane 10 Years Old Barrel #1791 (45.5%, Widow Jane, 2018)
- Category: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Origin: Kentucky, undisclosed
- Bottling: Widow Jane
- ABV: 45.5%
- Cost: £75.95
What they say
An excellent 10 year old bourbon from the Widow Jane range. This expression is distilled in Kentucky and brought down to bottling strength in New York with water from the Widow Jane mine in Rosendale. Every bottle is drawn from a single barrel, so alongside its core flavour profile, each one will have unique elements coming through.
MOM tasting notes:
- Nose: Buttered rye bread, cigar box, butterscotch and mince pie filling.
- Palate: Earthy vanilla pod, salted caramel, dried cherry, sandalwood.
- Finish: An enjoyably oiliness lingers, balanced by brown sugar.
What I say
Sampled during the the #DrinkCraft 4th of July Tweet Tasting
A 10 year old Kentucky Bourbon that has been reduced to bottling strength using pure limestone mineral water from the Widow Jane Mine in Rosendale New York.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Caramel brown amber (13/20), rare medium-sized tears leave fine legs
- Nose: Soft buttery caramel, brown sugar, toffee apples or caramel apple granny, tarte tatin
- Taste: Kirsch cherry liqueur, cleansing, polished oak and sandalwood, maple syrup, sweet and gentle spice, lighter in body than the preceding (and younger) Rye whiskeys
- Finish: Medium-long, burst of spices, drying, then some of the caramel returns, leaf tobacco and white pepper
A smooth easy-drinking bourbon with hits of fresh apples and tannic oak wood, some spice and brown sugar give this one real depth. A great single cask expression.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Widow Jane