Whisky Review: Ragtime Rye
- Category: American straight rye whiskey
- Origin: New York Distilling Company
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 45.2%
- Cost: £45.95
What they say
At the dawn of a new century, before the turbulence of Prohibition, the stalwarts of saloons and brothels alike were Ragtime and Rye. The syncopated rhythms of a uniquely American music were punctuated by well-built melody and shades of harmony; to ask for a whiskey cocktail meant a hearty Rye in hand – bold, slightly spicy and full of warm flavor. From Lincoln to the Dust Bowl, the wrath of battle to the backyard barbecue, Rye Whiskey has waxed and waned like amber waves of grain, its popularity, only recently, reclaimed as a resolute American spirit.
Distilled from rye proudly grown in New York State, this uncompromising whiskey is aged exclusively in full-size barrels to ensure robust flavor and nuanced finish. If the destiny of nations depends on cultural nourishment then ours may rest, in fulfillment, with Ragtime and Rye.
MoM tasting notes:
- Nose: An elegant nose full of red berry and clean, classic rye notes. Touches of cherry, golden syrup and a hint of white pepper. Perhaps a whiff of salted liquorice.
- Palate: Brilliantly mouth-coating. The rye spice gets dialled up a notch here, alongside hearty helpings of nutmeg and cinnamon. Still has plenty of berry notes to it (think blackberry and a hint of raspberry), though now with a pleasing orange glaze.
- Finish: Subtly drying, with very evocative notes of fresh, juicy clementine lasting. Red rope liquorice, too.
What I say
Sampled during the 4th of July #DrinkCraft tweet tasting hosted by Steve @TheWhiskyWire and @MaverickDrinks
An American Straight Rye Whiskey produced by the New York Distilling Company; produced from a mashbill that has predominantly Rye grains (i.e. 51% or greater) and ‘Straight’ whiskey must carry an age statement if matured for less than 4 years – from Moms Description:
New York Distilling Company’s rye whiskey has long been anticipated by cocktail enthusiasts around the world. Well wait no longer, mixologists, Ragtime Rye is ready to enjoy! Using a mashbill of 72% rye (which was specially grown for NYDC in New York State), 16% corn and 12% malted barley, then matured for at least three years in 53 gallon American oak barrels. The distillers in Brooklyn have created an excellent whiskey for all manner of rye-based cocktails – Manhattans ahoy!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark gold (12/20), sparse medium-fine legs, slow oily tears.
- Nose: Wood polish, sweet and savoury, cherry cola, bubblegum, corn sweetness and rye spice perhaps a hint of linseed oil/putty, later vanilla custard and some sticky sweet floral notes, caramel, maple syrup
- Taste: Oily and syrupy on the palate, sweet, cherry kola kubes, linseed oil, caramel with menthol and eucalyptus, cherry throat lozenges/cough sweets, remarkably creamy and unspiced
- Finish: Medium-short, creamy sweetness subsides and a dash of freshly ground cinnamon, aniseed and black pepper emerges
Very drinkable, cherry-filled rye with a lovely creamy texture followed by rye and oak wood spices.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review