Roger Groult 11 Years Old Calvados Pays d’Auge Sherry Cask Finish (46%, OB, 936 Bottles, 2017)
- Category: Calvados Pays d’Auge
- Origin: Roger Groult – Clos de la Hurvanière
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: ?
What they say
Calvados-Groult.com/Cask Finish Calvados
This cuvee is a 11 year old Calvados Pays d’Auge, 46% vol., with more than one year in Sherry cask finish.
AOC : Calvados Pays d’Auge
Aged : 11 years
Cider apples from Pays d’Auge area. Double distillation over wood fire. Aged and blended in old french oak casks. Finished for 1 year minimum in Sherry cask. Bottled at the domain. Limited release, numbered bottles
- “Once the wood notes have faded we find fine notes of honey and citrus.” – M. Hervé Lalau (Wine & spirits journalist)
What I say
Part of a trio of cask-finished Calvados Pays d’Auge produced by Roger Groult. The third has been aged for 11 years with a traditional Calvados maturation followed by a minimum 1 year finish in ex-Sherry casks.
Thanks to Calvados Roger Groult for providing samples.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark copper/bronze with ruby highlights (13/20). Slow fine tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose: Fruity, plum duff pudding, chocolate cake with raisins, apple, raspberry, leathery tannins and oak wood.
- Taste: That classic combination of apple and blackcurrant, some raspberry also, slightly syrupy and jam-like berry fruits, leathery tannins, red fruits, plums, raisins, honey, nuts, spiced cloves, chocolate or cocoa powder, cinnamon, fruit/Christmas cake, a little bitter.
- Finish: Long, drying, powdered baking spices, chocolate and walnut loaf.
Fruity apple, blackcurrant and raspberry followed rapidly by lots of classic sherry; fruitcake, Christmas spices, leather and chocolate influences. My favourite of the three Cask Finish expressions.
Shop for Calvados Groult (find distributors)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Hey there, You’ve done an incredible job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they’ll be benefited from this website.