Roger Groult 9 Years Old Calvados Pays d’Auge Whisky Cask Finish (46%, OB, 901 Bottles, 2017)
- Category: Calvados Pays d’Auge
- Origin: Roger Groult – Clos de la Hurvanière
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: ?
What they say
Calvados-Groult.com/Cask Finish Calvados
This cuvee is a 9 year old Calvados Pays d’Auge, 46% vol., with more than one year in Breton Whisky cask finish.
AOC : Calvados Pays d’Auge
Aged : 9 years
Cider apples from Pays d’Auge area. Double distillation over wood fire. Aged and blended in old french oak casks. Finished for 1 year minimum in Breton whisky cask. Bottled at the domain. Limited release, numbered bottles
- “It is spicy, iodized but creamy, almost buttery in the mouth.” – M. Hervé Lalau (Wine & spirits journalist)
What I say
Part of a trio of cask-finished Calvados Pays d’Auge produced by Roger Groult. The second has been aged for 9 years with a traditional Calvados maturation followed by a minimum 1 year finish in ex-Breton whisky casks.
Thanks to Calvados Roger Groult for providing samples.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark gold/green (12/20). Quick medium-sized tears leave long, fine legs.
- Nose: Sweet, floury/mealy and floral, subtle apple fruits, apple turnover pastries, shortcrust pasty, vanilla custard, honey, crème anglais, Portugese custard tarts.
- Taste: Neutral-sweet, mealy cereal grains, barley flour, sweet apples, lightly tannic, dark tea, woody and drying, gentle spices, crème anglais, pastries; almond croissant and marzipan.
- Finish: Medium, apples sweetened with honey and almond milk.
This expression has much more reserved apple elements, and appears to be more full-bodied with sweet pastry-like mealiness or cereal quality.
Shop for Calvados Groult (find distributors)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Very interesting subject, thank you for posting.