The Quartet Blended Malt Scotch Whisky (46%, The Spirit Still, 100 Bottles, 2018)
- Category: Blended malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Highland & Speyside
- Bottling: The Spirit Still
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £50
What they say
THE QUARTET. In deep sherried darkness Speyside’s finest gather on a windswept peat moor. Matches are struck, candles are lit and the hunt is on. An enchanting chord is sounded linking wood, fire and spirit. In the distance, the Beast appears.
Official tasting notes:
Sherried sweetness dancing in peat smoke. Pedro Ximénez sherry drizzled over a coal fire. Treacle tarts with salty bacon and dates. Chocolate and toffee popcorn. Fruit salad with sugar syrup.
What I say
A blended malt from 4 distilleries in the Highlands and Speyside matured in an ex-Sherry cask.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Madeira (13/20), medium oily tear leave medium-fine legs
- Nose: Sweet and spiced, rum punch, rum & raisin, banana, brown sugar, treacle toffee, raisins, tannic leather, wood smoke or bonfire, toffee apples.
- Taste: Rich and spiced, full-bodied, toffee apples, spun sugar, peach, orange, hints of cigar smoke, fresh nutmeg and a touch of wasabi, bbq sauce and bbq meats, toffee sauce, charcoal ash and wood smoke.
- Finish: Drying, tannic, herbal, liquorice root and chervil.
A likened this one to chewing tobacco, great flavours but a little leafy, herbal and even woody in places. A hint of smoke in here too is a pleasant addition.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review