Dewars 18 Year Old The Vintage (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Blended scotch whisky
- Origin: Various
- Bottling: John Dewar & Sons, Bacardi Ltd.
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £74.72
What they say
Heather honey poured over fruit.
Rich, golden, and mellow.
Almond and vanilla cream, with smooth butterscotch.
Soft, flavorful, and sweet.
A full finish; rich, deep, and oaky.
Plush, reassuring, and lasting.
What I say
Sampled during the #ItsDramTime #HomeofDewars Tweet tasting held on 9th May 2018.
Paired with Virunga Dr Congo 70% Plain Chocolate
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark copper gold (11/20) medium legs and loose, large tears
- Nose: Heather honey, nutty, cereal barley. oak wood, polished walnut, dry and dusty, hints of tannic leather, hazelnut on revisit, pickled walnut and candied orange peel
- Taste: Smooth (very smooth!), creamy highland toffee & butterscotch, gristy malted barley, nutty; walnut, hazelnut, tobacco leaf, milk chocolate, Werthers original caramel candies, drying leather on revisit with chocolate slightly spicier and darker fruits
- Finish: Medium long, drying, chocolate, nuts and toffee
What a lovely well-rounded blend, definitely focussed on mouthfeel this was the epitomy of smooth and from there the luxuriousness of this blend won me over. It is creamy with toffee and nuts to the fore with gentler hints of sherry maturation appearing later. The whole experience spoke of refined luxury and a very relaxed drinking experience. Paired with chocolate this brought out the spicier and dark fruit nature of this blend.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review