BenRiach 12 Years Old Sherry Wood
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: BenRiach Distillery
- Bottling: BenRiach Distillery Company Limited.
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £41.44
What they say
This rich, aromatic Single Malt Scotch Whisky has been created by marrying together whiskies matured in Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez sherry butts sourced from Jerez, Southern Spain.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose Mocha, dark chocolate, sultanas and rich spices.
- Colour Deep gold – bronze.
- Taste The combination of Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez Sherry casks gives a wonderful balance of mocha and dark chocolate interwoven with figs, sultanas, vanilla, fruits and rich spices.
What I say
A revered classic from BenRiach, their 12 year old matured in both Oloroso and PX sherry casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark amber/orange gold (12/20), quick, medium-large tears and some finer slower droplets leave fine legs
- Nose: Candyfloss and marshmallow, vanilla, sweet shop, fresh and dried fruits including some old sweet shop favourites, dried plums, peach and dried apricots, icing sugar, strawberry tarts and a touch of orange oil, chocolate and baking spices
- Taste: Caramel, raisin, red fruits, a touch of spiced ginger, a little more citric and fresher than the fruit on the nose, malty with a touch of treacle, some bitter tannins add in a coffee/chocolate element, a grapefruit acidity or sour note reminded me of sour apple or sour cherry
- Finish: Medium-long, a little ascerbic, woody and dry, a molasses-like sweetness persists with some soft fruit and candyfloss notes
A great noser, this had a little more of a grapefruit and citric acidity on the palate than I expected but some lovely woody notes, both tannins and spices that caress the palate and reward the finish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review