Bernheim Original Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey (45%, OB, 2017)
- Category: Kentucky Wheat Whiskey
- Origin: Heaven Hill distillery
- Bottling: Heaven Hill, Bernheim
- ABV: 45%
- Cost: £62.14
What they say
At its launch, Bernheim Original Straight Wheat Whiskey was the first truly new variety of American straight wheat whiskey introduced since Prohibition. Heaven Hill Master Distillers saw an opportunity to give today’s whiskey connoisseurs a unique taste experience. Bernheim was the only straight whiskey to use winter wheat as the primary grain in its mashbill, giving it a soft, sweet flavor and medium finish.
Today, on the front of the bottle, Bernheim proudly displays its finest attributes: Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey, small batch, and a 7 year age statement. With an age statement of 7 years, Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey truly is well worth the wheat. It is the only straight wheat whiskey distributed nationally. As a straight whiskey, it meets the same criteria as Bourbon or rye—aged a minimum of two years in new, charred oak barrels, distilled at less than 160 proof, and contains no coloring, flavoring or blending agents. As a small batch product, it is made with a dump of 100 barrels or less.
Official tasting notes:
- COLOR Brilliant copper
- AROMA Mildly sweet with hints of vanilla and honey
- TASTE Hints of toffee, berries, & spice with fresh mint
- FINISH Soft toasted oak, elegant and warm
What I say
I’ve sampled wheated Bourbons before but this is possibly my first ever Wheat whiskey.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Darlk amber (11/20), medium-large legs with medium tears
- Nose: This has a polished sweetness on the nose, polished hard toffee, old sweetie shops, wood polish or cleaning products, fruity banan and peach esters with cherry, some salt, well-buttered toast or spiced fruit teacakes.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, sweet honey, cinnamon buns & more buttered spiced teacakes, trail mix – salt and cereal with a little nuttiness, sweetie shop, sour cherries, softmints/spearmint, baked pastries and baking spices.
- Finish: Long, sweet then spiced and drying
Slightly less complex than Bourbon, this wheat based whiskey has a softer, sweet and slightly spiced nature. Quite tasty and nutty with cereal elements add a bakery style / sweetie shop mixture. Very pleasant.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review