Glenkinchie 2016 Distillery Only (48%, OB, 6000 Bottles, 2016)
- Category: Lowland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenkinchie Distillery
- Bottling: Diageo
- ABV: 48%
- Cost: £80 Available only at the distillery
What they say
Limited Edition available only at the distillery bottling, Bottled in 2016 producing a batch of 6000 bottles at 48% ABV. Constructed from a combination of ex-bourbon hogsheads, ex-Amontillado Sherry butts and perhaps further finishing in re-charred hogsheads…
What I say
Distillery only bottling offers yet another expression from Glenkinchie which by modern standards has remarkably few official bottlings in their range.
Carries no age statement but is a limited release of only 6000 bottles.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark Amontillado sherry (11/20), medium tears leave medium legs
- Nose: Floral and woody on the nose, toffee and honey and latterly that cereal, gristy malt, porridge oats and breakfast cereal, digestive biscuits, nutty walnut and hazelnut, peach skin, stone fruits poached in honey and white wine
- Taste: Woody on the palate, medium-full bodied, toffee, caramel but tannic, charred and new oak wood, barley stems, hay, barley sugars, ginger and pepper develop and tannins become more astringent, still that chewability like cinnamon bark, oaty flapjacks and hob-nob biscuits, almost bran. With a drop of water crystallized ginger and fruits arise, apricot and apple perhaps
- Finish: Medium-long, woody, malt, spiced molasses
An interesting expression with hints of the standard Glenkinchie 12 Year Old and Glenkinchie Distillers Edition expressions but taken that step further, the sweetness is locked away and citric elements non-existent.
Much more cereal, nut and wood were present here along with that woody/chewy mouthfeel. A more tannic and spicy alternative to the standard bottlings perhaps a little less subtle.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review