Glen Moray 2008 Cider Cask Finish (51.8%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glen Moray Distillery
- Bottling: Glen Moray Distillery Cask Sample
- ABV: 51.8%
- Cost: n/a
What they say
Just under 10yo (9yrs 9 months) and has spent just over 2 years in a Thistly Cross Whisky Cider cask. Glen Moray Master Distiller Graham Coull informed us “I send casks to Thistly and they use them twice and send them back to me!”
What I say
This expression was distilled at Glen Moray distillery in 2008 and then matured initially in I presume an ex-bourbon cask before finishing in a Glen Moray/Thistly Cross collaboration Cider cask #99956 where it spent at least 2 years.
Similar to one of the previous Distillery visitor centre Bottle-Your-Own Cider finish casks available.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light green gold (4/20) , slow med-large drops with short legs
- Nose: Green! green apples, Juicy pears! cider vinegar, fresh, floral and grassy, then malt and a honey sweetness 2nd wave actually a good dollop of vanilla custard in here too once it has breathed a little
- Taste: Medium bodied, Sweet, vanilla, Bramley [cooking] apple, then a cider apple fizz, sherbet, apple dib-dab, sugar crystals, thins a little resemble cider on the palate, finally malty with a touch of oak
- Finish: Long, sweet and tangy green apple fruit, sour fizz persists
Dangerously drinkable, this is whisky with a refreshing Cider edge to it full of sour green Bramley apples.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Single malt