Glenfiddich IPA Experimental Series 01
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenfiddich Distillery
- Bottling: William Grant & Sons
- ABV: 43%
- Cost: £44.95
What they say
In the first experiment of it’s kind, Malt Master Brian Kinsman collaborated with Seb Jones, an entrepreneurial Speyside brewer, to create a new craft IPA and pioneer the way for a new kind of single malt scotch whisky. Brewed in bespoke craft IPA barrels, this expression is imbued with unique zesty citrus notes of ripe green apple, William’s pear and spring blossom. Complimented by the subtle tang of fresh hops followed by a long lasting sweetness. This malt is proof that remarkable feats can be achieved when great people get together.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Rich golden
- Nose: An elegant harmony of fresh green apple, William’s pear and spring blossom. Complimented with Aromatic hops and fresh herbs.
- Taste: Vibrant with a zesty citrus note followed by creamy vanilla and a hint of fresh hops.
- Finish: Enduring sweetness with an echo of green hops.
What I say
An Ale-cask finished whisky from Glenfiddich, a bit of a rarity and I can only instantly think of Grant’s Ale Cask Blend (from the same parent company) off the top of my head.
This time Glenfiddich have partnered with the Spey Valley Brewery 9we sampled their 1814 lager recently as part of Aldi’s 10th Scottish Beer Festival – and very nice it was too. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to source a bottle of their IPA to use as a comparison to this whisky but I hope to soon!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Rich amber gold (11/20) slow, medium-sized tears leave medium-fine legs
- Nose: Sweet honey, flowery/perfumed, honeysuckle, rose, malty and yeasty like baking bread, beer, sweet fruity/estery pears, grapes and apples, oak wood, grain/cereal biscuits, honey poached pears, soft/brushed suede
- Taste: Gently sweet, cereal malted barley, dessert wine/sauternes, biscuit malt, pears poached in honey, soft suede, Madeleine biscuits – sponge bisuit filled with pear jam, pear liqueur, toffee, flower petals, hoppy – pine sap and gooseberry.
- Finish: Medium-short, sweet, sour, oak wood, biscuit, slightly spirit/youthful, hoppy pine sap.
Wow, this starts with a great nose but develops into something wonderful on the palate, good body structure but it is just so soft and enveloping – makes you want to savour every sip.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review