Glenfiddich 19 Years Old Age Of Discovery Bourbon Cask (40%, OB, 2015)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glenfiddich Distillery
- Bottling: William Grant & Sons, Official
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £92.44
What they say
CRUNCHY TOFFEE WITH SPICY HINTS OF CARDAMOM
The Great American Rivers once transported fine oak casks filled with American bourbon towards New Orleans. Bourbon casks could only be used once, their aromas and flavours released quickly, without being exhausted by long maturation. Excellent for ageing single malt Scotch.
Our second release in the Age of Discovery collection and a first for us, Bourbon Cask Reserve is inspired by that history. It is our only expression exclusively matured in American bourbon casks, for 19 years. Creating a refined balance of spicy sweetness and rich dried fruit flavours.
TRADE ROUTES TO WHISKY
The Age Of Discovery was a time when cities were expanding. American whisky distilleries were producing more – Tennesee sour mash, bourbon and rye whiskies. Precious bourbon barrels were carried along the Mississippi river on paddle steamers, towards the bustling port of New Orleans. Laying the foundations of our long history maturing whiskies in American oak casks.
UNIQUELY, BOURBON CASKS
Our Age Of Discovery Bourbon Cask Reserve is our only expression to have spent all its life maturing only in bourbon casks.
Only used once by bourbon producers, American bourbon casks impart aroma and flavour quickly. Yet their qualities last longer, having spent a comparatively brief time ageing the fine bourbon.
One-of-a-kind and available in selected duty free outlets.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Autumn barley fields.
- Nose: Warm, crunchy toffee and deep citrus notes. Marmalade on toast with fine orange liqueur balanced by dry, almost smoky oak tannin.
- Taste: Intriguing layers of light tannin, underpinned by rich notes of vanilla pod, fine leather and Havana tobacco. Develops into a sweet, velvety mouth-feel with spicy hints of cardamom and nutmeg.
- Finish: Warm, delightful long finish.
What I say
First sampled on my way through Edinburgh Airport as these were originally released exclusively to Travel Retail.
A 19 year old Glenfiddich unusually bottles from a single cask type maturation, in this case ex-Bourbon casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Refractive antique gold (10/20), medium sized tears
- Nose: Apple pie and vanilla custard, sweet shortcrust pastry, baked apples with plenty of cinnamon spice, egg custard, fruity peach, apricot and oranges slightly zesty and citric, toffee and caramel oak wood
- Taste: Quite light in body and sublimely smooth, mouthfilling, honeyed sweetness, creamy vanilla custard made with vanilla bean pods, cereal barley grist, coconut, caramel and butterscotch toffee, a hint of nutmeg spice
- Finish: Long, honeyed toffee and nutmeg spice
A reasonably enjoyable and simple Bourbon-cask matured Glenfiddich, worthy of inclusion into their 19 year old Age of Discovery series, sits nicely as a comparator for the Madeira Cask and Red Wine Cask expressions. A nice example of how ex-bourbon cask maturation can work really well in older expressions, a good balance between cask and spirit characters in here too.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Glenfiddich, Speyside
This sounds like a nice whisky. I like the 12 and it’s fruity notes. I’m beginning to like the 15 the more I have but I’ve yet to try any others from Glenfiddich.
Cheers Ben, I haven’t reviewed it on here yet but the Glenfiddich 14 Year Old Rich Oak available from supermarkets and occasionally at offer prices is perhaps one of the best/most drinkable expressions they have. My last bottle certainly didn’t last very long 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person