The Longmorn Distillery Company was founded in 1893 by John Duff, Charles Shirres and George Thomson. Duff was a former manager of the Glendronach Distillery and the Bon Accord Distillery in Aberdeen, and was the founder of the Glenlossie Distillery, as well as being involved with unsuccessful distilleries in Cape Town and the USA.
Longmorn Distillery started production in December 1894. Three years later John Duff built the Benriach Distillery next to Longmorn, but both were affected by the collapse of wholesale buyers Pattison, Elder and Co. in 1898. Duff was ruined by the collapse, and Longmorn Distilleries Company Ltd. passed through a variety of ownerships. In 1970, Longmorn joined The Glenlivet and Glen Grant to form The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. This was bought by Chivas Brothers in 1978 and in 2001 Chivas Brothers was acquired by the French Pernod Ricard Group.
Longmorn Whisky Reviews:
- Longmorn 10 Years Old 2003 7.107 The good old days ~ 60.6% (SMWS) - Longmorn 10 Years Old 2003 – 7.107 The good old days Single malt scotch whisky 60.6% ABV, £48.40 Score: 83/100 What they say: Colour: Shiny trumpet Flavour: Spicy & sweet All of us stepped back in time into a good old fashioned hardware store with well looked after worn oak floorboards. We purchased a handful […]
- Longmorn 13 Years Old 1996 The Vintage Collection ~ 46% (Carn Mor) - Longmorn 13 Years Old 1996 – The Carn Mor Vintage Collection (Carn Mor) 46% ABV, £14 for 20cl Score: 77/100 What they say: Distilled in 1996 at the Speyside distillery of Longmorn and matured in a bourbon hogshead Cask number 156794 for 13 years before bottling in 2009. This bottle was from a limited edition of […]
- Longmorn 16 Years Old ~ 48% (Pernod Ricard) - Longmorn 16 Years Old (Official Bottling) 48% ABV, £48 for 70 cl or £5.90 per dram at the Whiski Rooms Edinburgh Score: 86/100 What they say (from The Whisky Exchange): A part of the Chivas Brothers empire (now owned by Pernod Ricard), Longmorn has long been a favourite of the cognoscenti, but until recently was […]
- Longmorn 17 Years Old 1996 Cask #105095 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Longmorn 17 Years Old 1996 [Cask #105095] (Signatory Vintage) 43% ABV, £38 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Distilled at the Speyside Longmorn distillery on 25/06/1996 and matured in 1st Fill Sherry Butt, cask no 105095. Bottled on 05/11/2013, bottle no. 347 of 832 by Signatory Vintgae Scotch Whisky Co. Ltd. Pitlochry. Natural Colour. […]
- Longmorn 18 Years Old 1995 Cask Strength Edition ~ 53.1% (Pernod Ricard) - Longmorn 18 Years Old 1995 Cask Strength Edition (Chivas Brothers) 53.1% ABV, 50cl for £49.50 from Whisky Galore @ The Green Welly Stop Score: 87/100 What they say: Chivas Brothers Cask Strength Edition, Non chill-filtered, Speyside single malt scotch whisky The Cask Strength Edition range of Highland and Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whiskies from Chivas […]
- Longmorn 19 Year Old 1992 [cask 71768] – Berry’s own selection ~ 46% (Berry Bros. & Rudd) - Longmorn 19 Year Old 1992 [cask 71768] (Berry Bros. & Rudd) 46% ABV, £67.45 for 70cl Score: 87/100 What they say: filtered at 46% ABV. Produced near Elgin, this malt whisky is highly respected for its smooth, complex full character and heady bouquet. The primary aromas give yellow fruit skins and honey. There is some […]
- Longmorn 1967 Speyside Collection ~ 43% (Gordon & MacPhail) - Whisky Review: Longmorn 1967 Speyside Collection Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Longmorn distillery Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Speyside Collection ABV: 43% Cost: £10,495.95 from Master of Malt What they say: Speyside Collection Leading whisky specialist Gordon & MacPhail has launched an exclusive Speyside Collection, offering customers the chance to purchase six exquisite single malt Scotch […]
- Longmorn 35 Years Old 1976 ~ 53% (Thosop) - Review: Longmorn 35 Years Old 1976 (bottled 2011) Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Longmorn Distillery Bottling: Thosop ABV: 53% Cost: ~ €200 (£9.95 per dram at Fiddler’s) Score: 93/100 What they say: Distilled in 1976 at Longmorn Distillery this has matured for over 35 Years in a bourbon barrel before producing 134 bottles at […]
- Longmorn-Glenlivet 18 Years Old 1994 – Authentic Collection ~ 56.1% (Cadenhead’s) - Longmorn-Glenlivet 18 Years Old 1994 – Authentic Collection 56.1% ABV Score: 85/100 What they say: Bottled: July 2013; 264 bottles; Strength 56.1% ABV Longmorn-Glenlivet Cadenhead’s Authentic Collection 18 Years Country: Scotland Region: Highlands / Speyside Whisk(e)y-type: Scotch Single Malt Distillery: Longmorn-Glenlivet Bottler: Cadenhead Age: 18 Years Distilled: 1994 Bottled: July 2013 Cask: Bourbon Hogshead Alcohol: 56,1% […]