Region: Speyside, Scotland.
Owner: William Grant & Sons
Water source: Robbie Dubh
Stills: 5x Wash 6x Spirit
Capacity: 5.6 million litres per annum
Glenfiddich is a Speyside single malt Scotch whisky owned and produced by William Grant & Sons in Dufftown, Scotland. Glenfiddich means ‘Valley of the Deer’ in Scottish Gaelic, hence the presence of a stag symbol on Glenfiddich bottles.
The Glenfiddich Distillery was founded in 1886 by William Grant in Dufftown, Scotland, in the glen of the River Fiddich. The Glenfiddich single malt whisky first ran from the stills on Christmas Day, 1887.
In the 1920s, with prohibition in force in the USA, Glenfiddich was one of a very small number of distilleries to increase production. This put them in a strong position to meet the sudden rise in demand for fine aged whiskies that came with the repeal of prohibition.
In the 1950s, the Grant family built up an onsite infrastructure that included coppersmiths to maintain the copper stills, and a dedicated cooperage that is now one of the very few remaining in distilleries. In 1956 the Grant’s brand launched the now-iconic triangular bottle, designed by Hans Schleger.
Following difficult times in the 1960s and ’70s, many small, independent distillers were bought up or went out of business. In order to survive, W. Grant & Sons expanded their production of the drink, and introduced advertising campaigns and a visitors’ centre. In this period they also took the decision to begin marketing single malt as a premium brand in its own right, effectively creating the modern single malt whisky category.
Later, W. Grant & Sons was one of the first distilleries to package its bottles in tubes and gift tins, as well as recognising the importance of the duty-free market for spirits. This marketing strategy was successful, and Glenfiddich has now become the world’s best-selling single malt. It is sold in 180 countries, and accounts for about 35% of single malt sales.
Glenfiddich is currently managed by the fifth generation of William Grant’s descendants.
In September 2014, William Grant & Sons agreed to acquire Drambuie for an undisclosed price rumoured to be in the region of £100 million.
Glenfiddich Whisky Reviews:
- Glenfiddich 12 Years Old ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Glenfiddich 12 Year Old (Official Bottling) 40% ABV, £20 for 70cl-1l Score: 82/100 What they say: Fresh pear, subtle oak Carefully matured in the finest American bourbon and Spanish sherry oak casks for at least 12 years. Married and mellowed in oak marrying tuns for complete harmony of aroma and flavour. A single malt Scotch whisky […]
- Glenfiddich 125th Anniversary Edition ~ 43% (William Grant & Sons) - Glenfiddich 125th Anniversary Edition Speyside single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, £74.99 for 70cl from World of Whiskies (Travel Retail) Score: 90/100 What they say: Distillery Notes In 1886 the distillery was built in the Glen of Fiddich, Gaelic for the Valley of the Deer. The first spirit flowed from the stills on Christmas Day […]
- Glenfiddich 15 Years Old Solera ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Glenfiddich 15 Years Old Solera (Official Bottling) 40% ABV, £30-35 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: Our 15 Year Old expression is a truly special single malt that exemplifies our family’s tradition of innovation. Its warm, spicy flavours are created using a technique pioneered by our fourth Malt Master, David Stewart, and continued to this […]
- Glenfiddich 18 Years Old ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Glenfiddich 18 Years Old (Official Bottling) 40% ABV, £50-55 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: We use fine Spanish Oloroso wood and American oak to mature this rich, intriguingly fruity and robust oak expression, but there are many more reasons why this expression is special. Every batch is individually numbered and carefully watched over. Each […]
- Glenfiddich 19 Years Old Age Of Discovery Bourbon Cask ~ 40% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Glenfiddich 19 Years Old Age Of Discovery Bourbon Cask Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenfiddich Distillery Bottling: Official ABV: 40% Cost: £92.44 from Master of Malt What they say: The Glenfiddich Age of Discovery range is released just to the travel retail market until 2012 when the 19 year Old Madeira Cask […]
- Glenfiddich IPA Experimental Series 01 ~ 43% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Glenfiddich IPA Experimental Series 01 Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenfiddich Distillery Bottling: William Grant & Sons ABV: 43% Cost: £44.95* from Master of Malt What they say: In the first experiment of it’s kind, Malt Master Brian Kinsman collaborated with Seb Jones, an entrepreneurial Speyside brewer, to create a new craft […]
- Glenfiddich XX Experimental Series 02 ~ 47% (William Grant & Sons) - Review: Glenfiddich XX Experimental Series 02 Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenfiddich Distillery Bottling: William Grant & Sons ABV: 47% Cost: £48.95* from Master of Malt What they say: Our second experiment of the series took place privately at our Conval warehouse. Shrouded in secrecy, malt Master Brian Kinsman invited 20 whisky experts […]