Region: Lowlands, Scotland.
Water source: Kinchie Burn
Ouput: 2.7 million litres alcohol per annum
Glenkinchie lies, as the name might suggest, in a glen of the Kinchie Burn near the village of Pencaitland, East Lothian. It is situated about 15 miles from Edinburgh. The distillery is set in farmland. The name ‘Kinchie’ is a corruption of ‘De Quincy’, the original owners of the land. Its origins date back to around 1825 when it was founded by brothers John and George Rate. While there are no direct records it seems likely that Glenkinchie is the Milton Distillery previous recorded in the area. The brothers probably renamed it in about 1837. In 1969 the distillery stopped malting its own grain and the malting floors were turned into a museum of malt whisky.
Glenkinchie Whisky Reviews:
- Glenkinchie 10 Years Old (43%, OB, +/-2006) - The original Classic Malts 10 year old release from Glenkinchie. Discontinued in 2007 and replaced by a 12 year old. 79/100
- Glenkinchie 12 Years Old (43%, OB, +/-2011) - Whisky Review: Glenkinchie 12 Years Old Category: Lowland single malts scotch whisky Origin: Glenkinchie Distillery Bottling: Diageo ABV: 43% ABV Cost: £35.45 What they say From the Diageo classic malts. Glenkinchie, The […]
- Glenkinchie 12 Years Old (43%, OB, +/-2014) - For completeness we dug this 2014 bottled Glenkinchie 12 out of the archives and find it sits somewhere between the previous two we have tried. 82/100
- Glenkinchie 12 Years Old (43%, OB, +/-2017) - The ‘standard’ 12 year old bottling from the Lowland Glenkinchie Distillery. With a little more to it than I remember. 83/100
- Glenkinchie 1999/2012 Distillers Edition (43%, OB, G/285-7-D) - Review: Glenkinchie 1999 (Bottled 2012) Amontillado Finish Distillers Edition Category: Lowland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenkinchie Distillery Bottling: Diageo; Distillers Edition ABV: 43% Cost: £55.84 from Master of Malt What they […]
- Glenkinchie 2004/2016 Distillers Edition (43%, OB, G/289-7-D) - Perhaps a difference in the Amontillado sherry casks used for maturation or a result of the slightly newer style of Glenkicnhie spirit we are finding? This expression was much more woody, grassy and chewier on the palate which definitely improves the experience when compared to the previous 1999 Distillers Edition we had sampled. 87/100
- Glenkinchie 2016 Distillery Only (48%, OB, 6000 Bottles) - A Distillery Only available limited edition bottling of Glenkinchie, 6,000 bottles were released in 2016. A more tannic and spicy alternative to the standard bottlings. 85/100
- Glenkinchie 28 Years Old 1987/2016 (53.3%, Cadenhead, Authentic Collection, Bourbon HH, 240 bottles) - Whisky Review: Glenkinchie 28 Years Old 1987 Authentic Collection Category: Lowland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenkinchie Distillery Bottling: Cadenheads; Authentic Collection ABV: 53.3% Cost: £130 What they say: Distilled in 1987 […]