Region: Highlands, Scotland.
Owner: Emperador (Whyte & Mackay)
Ouput: 1.6 million litres alcohol per annum
Fettercairn is a whisky distillery in Fettercairn. Situated under the Grampian foothills in the Howe of Mearns, Fettercairn town’s name is loosely based on the phrase ‘the foot of the mountain’.
Fettercairn Distillery was founded in 1824 by Alexander Ramsay, owner of the Fasque estate, who converted a corn mill at Nethermill into a distillery. After losing his fortune, Alexander was forced to sell the estate to the Gladstone family in 1829. John Gladstone’s son William Gladstone, went on to become Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer and was instrumental in passing various reforms on the taxation of whisky. In 1973 Whyte & Mackay acquired Fettercairn distillery and it has remained with the company since.
Fettercairn Whisky Reviews:
- Fettercairn 10 Years Old 2005 cask 10943 Provenance ~ 46% (Douglas Laing) - Review: Fettercairn 10 Years Old 2005 cask 10943 Provenance Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Fettercairn Distillery Bottling: Douglas Laing; Provenance range ABV: 46% Cost: £34.48 What they say: A 10 […]
- Fettercairn 30 Years Old 1978 ~ 43.3% (Emperador) - Review: Fettercairn 30 year old single malt scotch whisky Fettercairn Distillery – Whyte & Mackay 43.3% ABV £205 for 70cl from Master of Malt Score: 87/100 What they say: The official bottling […]
- Fettercairn 6 Year Old 2008 Hepburn’s Choice ~ 46% (Langside) - Whisky Review: Fettercairn 6 Year Old 2008 Hepburn’s Choice Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Fettercairn Distillery Bottling: Langside; Hepburn’s Choice ABV: 46% Cost: £40.06 from Master of Malt What they […]
- Fettercairn Fasque (42%, OB, +/-2012) - Fettercairn Fasque (Official Bottling) NAS, 42% ABV £40 for 70cl Score 81/100 What they say: Founded by Sir Alexander Ramsay in 1824 on his family’s Fasque Estate, Fettercairn is one of the […]
- Fettercairn Fior (42%, OB, +/-2014) - Fettercairn Fior 42% ABV, £38 for 70cl from the Whisky Exchange Score: 79/100 What they say: “Fior means pure or true in Gaelic, and this no-age-statement bottling launched in summer 2010 is […]