Region: Highland Scotland. PH16 5JP
Owner: Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co. Ltd
Water source: Ben Vrackie Springs
Output: 130,000 litres per annum
Edradour distillery (Scottish Gaelic: Eadar Dhà Dhobhar, “between two rivers”) is a Highland single malt whisky distillery based in Pitlochry, Perthshire. Its owners claim it to be the smallest distillery in Scotland, but this title now belongs to Strathearn Distillery, also in Perthshire. It has been owned by the Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Company since 2002, and was previously owned by Pernod Ricard. Signatory, founded in 1988, is primarily an Independent bottler and is based in Pitlochry.
Established in 1825, the distillery was traditionally run by three men, but now there are just two. Only eighteen casks are produced each week. They have a tour which costs £7.50 and currently includes two drams and a nosing glass.
The wash still has a capacity of 4200 litres and the smaller spirit still 2200 litres. These stills are more than four times the size of the stills currently being used by Strathearn Distillery.
A variety of whiskies are available from the distillery. Only the Edradour 10-year is chill-filtered, a process by which the esters and oils are removed, producing a cleaner look to the whisky, which when chilled or has ice added to it does not turn cloudy. There is, amongst others, a non-chill-filtered 12-year-old malt, some of which goes into the “House of Lords” and “Clan Campbell” blends.
Also produced for two days in a week is a heavily-peated version of the Edradour called Ballechin.
Our visit: 6th May 2103
Mash tun: open cast iron
Wash backs: 2x Oregon pine
Stills: 1 wash 1 Spirit
Edradour Whisky Reviews:
- Ballechin 10 Years Old Heavily Peated 1st Release ~ 46% (Edradour) - Whisky Review: Ballechin 10 Years Old Heavily Peated 1st Release Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Signatory; Ballechin – Heavily Peated range ABV: 46% Cost: £41.95 from Edradour Distillery Online Shop What they say: Ballechin is the heavily peated distillation we have been making at Edradour Distillery since 2003. Distilled using […]
- Edradour 11 Year Old 2000 Burgundy Cask Finish – Straight from the Cask ~ 57.1% (Edradour distillery) - Edradour 11 Year Old 2000 Burgundy Cask Finish single malt scotch whisky Edradour Distillery 57.1% ABV, £50 for 50cl Score 85/100 What they say: Edradour 11yo straight from the cask Burgundy cask finish. Outturn 436 bottles. 57.1% ABV. Distilled 30/6/2000 hogshead matured until 22/11/2008 into Burgundy cask. Bottled 18/07/2011 What I say: I put this […]
- Edradour 11 Years Old 2002 Cask 1206 Un-Chillfiltered Collection ~ 46% (Signatory) - Whisky Review: Edradour 11 Years Old 2002 Cask 1206 UCF Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Signatory Vintage; Un-Chillfiltered Collection, Cask #1206 ABV: 46% Cost: £40.33 What they say: Distilled 24.10.2002 at Edradour Distillery and bottled 30.06.2014 after 11 years maturation in Sherry Butt number 1206, producing 932 bottles at outturn diluted to 46% […]
- Edradour 12 Years Old 1999 Natural Cask Strength [Cask #290] – Ibisco Decanter ~ 58.7% (Distillery Only) - Edradour 12 Years Old 1999 Natural Cask Strength [Cask #290] – Ibisco Decanter (Distillery Only) 58.7% ABV, £60 for 70cl Score: 88/100 What they say: Distilled on the 22nd June 1999 at Edradour Distillery and bottled on 4th February 2013, this 12 year old has been bottled at natural cask strength of 58.7% ABV into […]
- Edradour 12 Years Old 2003 7th Release Bourbon Cask Ibisco Decanter ~ 56.5% (Edradour) - Whisky Review: Edradour 12 Years Old 2003 7th Release Bourbon Cask Matured Ibisco Decanter Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Edradour ABV: 56.5% Cost: £64.68 What they say: The 7th release of handsome Ibisco Decanters, full of Bourbon cask matured single malt from the Edradour distillery in the Scottish Highlands. As […]
- Edradour 13 Year Old 1997 Chateauneuf du Pape finish – Straight from the Cask ~ 54.2% (Edradour distillery) - Edradour 13 Year Old 2011Chateauneuf du Pape finish – Straight from the Cask Highland single malt scotch whisky 54.2% ABV, £45 for 50cl. Score 91/100 What they say: Edradour 13 year old chateauneuf du pape finish. Straight from the cask 1997. 436 bottle outturn. Distilled 19/11/1997, matured in hogsheads until 2/05/2007. Finished in Chateauneuf-du-pape hogshead […]
- Edradour 14 Years Old 2000 Sherry Cask 2003 Ibisco Decanter ~ 56.8% (Edradour) - Whisky Review: Edradour 14 Years Old 2000 Sherry Cask 2003 Ibisco Decanter Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Edradour ABV: 56.8% Cost: £79.16 from Master of Malt [sold out] What they say: A cask strength bottling of Edradour single malt Scotch whisky, matured in a single Sherry cask (#2003, FYI). It […]
- Edradour Distillery Edition 10 Years Old ~ 40% (Edradour distillery) - Edradour Distillery Edition 10 Years Old Highland single malt whisky 40% ABV, £30 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Nestled in a pocket glen, in the hills above Pitlochry in the southern highlands, lies Edradour, the smallest distillery in Scotland. The neat cluster of buildings, virtually unchanged in the last 150 years, houses equipment […]
- Edradour Super Tuscan 8 years old 2006 – Batch#1 ~46% (Edradour Distillery) - Edradour Super Tuscan 8 years old 2006 – Batch#1 ~46% (Edradour Distillery) 46% ABV, £44.95 for 70cl available from Royal Mile Whiskies Score: 85/100 What they say: There have been a few noticeable bottlings of whisky matured in Super Tuscan wine casks as of late. Edradour have released this heavy bodied dram using their vast […]