Region: Highland Scotland. PH16 5JP
Owner: Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Co. Ltd
Water source: Ben Vrackie Springs
Output: 130,000 litres per annum
Edradour distillery (Scottish Gaelic: Eadar Dhà Dhobhar, “between two rivers”) is a Highland single malt whisky distillery based in Pitlochry, Perthshire. Its owners claim it to be the smallest distillery in Scotland, but this title now belongs to Strathearn Distillery, also in Perthshire. It has been owned by the Signatory Vintage Scotch Whisky Company since 2002, and was previously owned by Pernod Ricard. Signatory, founded in 1988, is primarily an Independent bottler and is based in Pitlochry.
Established in 1825, the distillery was traditionally run by three men, but now there are just two. Only eighteen casks are produced each week. They have a tour which costs £7.50 and currently includes two drams and a nosing glass.
The wash still has a capacity of 4200 litres and the smaller spirit still 2200 litres. These stills are more than four times the size of the stills currently being used by Strathearn Distillery.
A variety of whiskies are available from the distillery. Only the Edradour 10-year is chill-filtered, a process by which the esters and oils are removed, producing a cleaner look to the whisky, which when chilled or has ice added to it does not turn cloudy. There is, amongst others, a non-chill-filtered 12-year-old malt, some of which goes into the “House of Lords” and “Clan Campbell” blends.
Also produced for two days in a week is a heavily-peated version of the Edradour called Ballechin.
Our visit: 6th May 2103
Mash tun: open cast iron
Wash backs: 2x Oregon pine
Stills: 1 wash 1 Spirit
Edradour Whisky Reviews:
- Ballechin 10 Years Old Heavily Peated (46%,OB, 1st Release, +/-2014) - Whisky Review: Ballechin 10 Years Old Heavily Peated 1st Release Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Signatory; Ballechin – Heavily Peated range ABV: 46% Cost: £41.95 from Edradour […]
- Jura 30 Years Old 1986/2016 (42.5%, Cadenheads, Single Cask, Bourbon Barrel, 66 Bottles) - Liquid Chantilly cream on red berries and oodles of Jura's fabulous butterscotch, refined, beautifully deep with that luxurious creamy taste and texture, not much more required. 85/100
- Edradour 10 Years Old Distillery Edition (40%, OB, +/-2012) - Edradour Distillery Edition 10 Years Old Highland single malt whisky 40% ABV, £30 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: Nestled in a pocket glen, in the hills above Pitlochry in the […]
- Edradour 11 Year Old 2000/2011 (57.1%, OB, Straight from the Cask, Burgundy Cask Finish, 436 bottles) - Edradour 11 Year Old 2000 Burgundy Cask Finish single malt scotch whisky Edradour Distillery 57.1% ABV, £50 for 50cl Score 85/100 What they say: Edradour 11yo straight from the cask Burgundy cask […]
- Edradour 11 Years Old 2002 Cask 1206 Un-Chillfiltered Collection ~ 46% (Signatory) - Whisky Review: Edradour 11 Years Old 2002 Cask 1206 UCF Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Signatory Vintage; Un-Chillfiltered Collection, Cask #1206 ABV: 46% Cost: £40.33 What they say: Distilled 24.10.2002 […]
- Edradour 12 Years Old 1999 Natural Cask Strength [Cask #290] – Ibisco Decanter ~ 58.7% (Distillery Only) - Edradour 12 Years Old 1999 Natural Cask Strength [Cask #290] – Ibisco Decanter (Distillery Only) 58.7% ABV, £60 for 70cl Score: 88/100 What they say: Distilled on the 22nd June 1999 at […]
- Edradour 12 Years Old 2003 7th Release Bourbon Cask Ibisco Decanter ~ 56.5% (Edradour) - Whisky Review: Edradour 12 Years Old 2003 7th Release Bourbon Cask Matured Ibisco Decanter Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Edradour ABV: 56.5% Cost: £64.68 What they say: […]
- Edradour 13 Years Old 1997/2011 (54.2%, OB, Straight from the Cask, Chateauneuf du Pape finish, 436 bottles) - Edradour 13 Year Old 2011Chateauneuf du Pape finish – Straight from the Cask Highland single malt scotch whisky 54.2% ABV, £45 for 50cl. Score 91/100 What they say: Edradour 13 year old […]
- Edradour 14 Years Old 2000 Sherry Cask 2003 Ibisco Decanter ~ 56.8% (Edradour) - Whisky Review: Edradour 14 Years Old 2000 Sherry Cask 2003 Ibisco Decanter Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Edradour Distillery Bottling: Edradour ABV: 56.8% Cost: £79.16 from Master of Malt [sold […]
- Edradour Super Tuscan 8 years old 2006 – Batch#1 ~46% (Edradour Distillery) - Edradour Super Tuscan 8 years old 2006 – Batch#1 ~46% (Edradour Distillery) 46% ABV, £44.95 for 70cl available from Royal Mile Whiskies Score: 85/100 What they say: There have been a few […]