Region: Highland, Scotland FK16 6AG
Owner: Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd.
Water source: River Teith
Mash tun: Open top cast iron
Washbacks: 8x stainless steel
Stills: 2x wash 2x spirit
Capacity: 3 million litres per annum
Deanston distillery is a Single malt Scotch whisky distillery located on the banks of the River Teith, eight miles from the historic town of Stirling, at the gateway to the dramatic Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park. It is the largest distillery owned by Scotch whisky producer Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd. Deanston Distillery started life in 1785 as a cotton mill designed by Sir Richard Arkwright, and remained as such for 180 years until it was transformed into a distillery in 1966. The constant supply of pure water from the River Teith contributed to the decision to turn the mill into a distillery and Deanston is now the only distillery in Scotland to be self-sufficient in electricity, with power generated by an on-site hydro-energy facility.
In June 2012, Burn Stewart Distillers Limited opened a new visitor centre at Deanston, as a means of showcasing the fascinating history of the distillery and offering visitors a unique insight into Scotland’s industrial past and traditional whisky production. The visitor centre is located in the former cotton mill canteen, with many original features being retained, and created seven new jobs for local people. It hosts a gift shop which sells exclusive Deanston bottlings, a café, tasting and presentations areas, and a variety of intimate distillery and tasting tours for locals, tourists and whisky lovers to enjoy. It is expected to attract 15,000 visitors a year and contribute to whisky tourism, an industry which generates an estimated £30m for the Scottish tourism economy.
As the visitor centre opened, the distillery and a number of staff had already attracted international attention as Deanston featured as the distillery location in the Ken Loach film, The Angels’ Share, released in May 2012. One of the stars of the film, Jasmin Riggins, was also present at the opening.
19th May 2013 (tour)
13th December 2013 (hand-filled bottle Oloroso)
3rd January 2015 (hand-filled bottle Amontillado)
Deanston Whisky Reviews:
- Deanston 10 Years Old 2004 Distillery Exclusive (59.2%, OB-Handfill, Amontillado Cask Finish, 2014) - Deanston 10 Years Old 2004 Amontillado Cask Finish Highland single malt scotch whisky 59.2% ABV, £75 for 70cl bottle-your-own at Deanston Distillery Score: 83/100 What they say: Distilled in 2004 and matured […]
- Deanston 11 Years Old 2004 Distillery Exclusive (60.1%, OB-Handfill, Amontillado Cask Finish, 2015) - Review: Deanston 11 Years Old 2004 Amontillado Cask Finish Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Deanston Distillery Bottling: Official: Distell – Distillery Fill your own ABV: 60.1% Cost: £80 Score: 85/100 What […]
- Deanston 12 Year Old 1999 Glenkeir Treasures Selection (40%, The Whisky Shop, 2011) - Deanston 12 Year Old Oloroso Cask – Glenkeir Treasures Selection (The Whisky Shop) 40% ABV, £44 for 50cl Score: 86/100 What they say: Finished in Oloroso wood, a rich, fruity and sumptuous […]
- Deanston 12 Years Old (46.3%, OB, 2012) - Deanston 12 Years Old (Official Bottling) 46.3% ABV, ~£30 for 70cl Score: 83/100 What they say: NOSE. Expressive with hay and malty cereal notes. Creamy toffee and heather honey balanced with aromas of sweet […]
- Deanston 18 Years Old (46.3%, OB, 2015) - Deanston 18 Years Old Highland single malt scotch whisky 46.3% ABV, £62.95 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: Deanston 18YO is first aged in hogshead casks before being finished in first […]
- Deanston 19 Year Old 1992 Single Cask (53.4%, Master of Malt, Bourbon Cask, 260 Bottles, 2012) - Deanston 19 Year Old – Single Cask (Master of Malt) 53.4% ABV, was £59.95 for 70cl – no longer available or £4.80 for 3cl drinks by the dram Score: 85/100 What they […]
- Deanston Batch #2 (49.6%, That Boutique-y Whisky Company, 248 Bottles, 2014) - Deanston – Batch 2 (That Boutique-y Whisky Company) 49.6% ABV, £59.95 for 50cl or £5.83 for a 3cl drinks by the dram Score: 81/100 What they say: Batch 2 of That Boutique-y […]
- Deanston Festival 2014 Edition (57.2%, OB, Marsala Cask Finish, 140 Bottles, 2014) - Deanston 12 Years Old Marsala Cask Finish – Festival 2014 Highland single malt scotch whisky 57.2% ABV, £90 for 70cl available from Deanston Distillery Score: 85/100 What they say: Distilled in 2002 […]
- Deanston Virgin Oak (46.3%, OB, 2015) - Deanston Virgin Oak Highland single malt scotch whisky 46.3% ABV, £35 for 70cl Score: 81/100 What they say: Virgin Oak This beautiful malt is first matured in ex-bourbon casks, from a family […]