Region: Highlands, Scotland. KW9 6LR
Water source: Clynemilton burn
Mash tun: Cast Iron to be replaced by Stainless steel
Washbacks: 8x wooden 2x Stainless steel
Stills: 3x Wash, 3x Spirit
Capacity: 4.8 million litres per annum
The distillery was built in 1968, adjacent to the original Clynelish distillery which was closed. Confusingly the original distillery was reopened in May 1969 and until July 1973 produced a heavily peated whisky to supply for blending; this was done to cover a shortage of Islay whisky caused by a drought on the island. The old distillery was renamed Brora Distillery and production of a peated spirit continued up until 1983.
Clynelish has had a strong connection with Johnnie Walker blended whisky for many years. A large proportion of the spirit used in Johnnie Walker Gold Label Reserve comes from this distillery.
Clynelish Whisky Reviews:
- Clynelish 10 Years Old 2003 26.96 Le Trou Normand (61.4%, SMWs, 1st Fill Bourbon Barrel, 233 Bottles, 2014) - Review: Clynelish 10 Years Old 2003 26.96 Le Trou Normand Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 26.96 Le Trou Normand ABV: 61.4% ABV, […]
- Clynelish 14 Years Old (46%, OB, 2017) - Well balanced, deliciously waxy and mouth-coating this whisky is more about the textures and balance of elements than actual flavour. Remains a classic and a worthy addition to any shelf or collection. 85/100
- Clynelish 14 Years Old 1998 Cask 2460 & 2461 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Review: Clynelish 14 Years Old 1998 casks 2460 & 2461 (Signatory) Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish Distillery Bottling: Signatory casks 2460 & 2461 ABV: 43% Cost: £35.06 from Master […]
- Clynelish 20 Years Old 1995 Cask Strength (53.2%, Signatory, Refill Sherry Butt #8636, 626 Bottles, 2016) - Whisky Review: Clynelish 20 Years Old 1995 Cask 8636 Cask Strength Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish Distillery Bottling: Signatory, Cask 8636 ABV: 53.2% Cost: £77.49 What they say: Distilled […]
- Clynelish 21 Years Old 1992 Small Batch (51.6%, Cadenheads, Bourbon HHs, 792 Bottles, 2013) - Review: Clynelish 21 Years Old 1992 Cadenhead’s Small Batch Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish Distillery Bottling: Wm Cadenhead ABV: 51.6% Cost: £79.57 from Wm Cadenheads Score: 89/100 What they […]