Ben Nevis Distillery
Region: Highlands, Scotland.
Water source: Allt a’Mhuilinn
Stills: 2x Wash, 2x Spirit
Capacity: 2 million litres per annum
The distillery was founded in 1825 by ‘Long John’ McDonald, a 6 ft 4in descendant of a ruler of the western Scottish kingdom of Argyll (after whom the renowned blended Scotch, Long John, was named). After Long John’s death in 1856, ownership was passed down to Donald McDonald, his son. A second distillery was sited nearby in 1878 and named Nevis Distillery. In a bid to keep up with growing demand, the two distilleries eventually became one in the early twentieth century. In 1955 the distillery was taken over by new proprietors led by Joseph Hobbs. Under Hobbs, the distillery began using continuous distillation, installing a Coffey Still which remained on the site for 26 years and made the distillery one of the first to produce both malt and grain whisky simultaneously. The Japanese company Nikka (Japan) acquired the distillery in 1989. The heart of the range has been for some time the 10 years old. There have also been a few cask-finishes, limited editions and independent bottlings, notably from Blackadder and Douglas Laing. In 1991, a visitor centre and cafe was opened for the public.
Ben Nevis Whisky Reviews:
- Ben Nevis 10 Years Old ~ 46% (Nikka) - Whisky Review: Ben Nevis 10 Years Old Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ben Nevis Distillery Bottling: Nikka ABV: 46% Cost: £29.99 from MoM ; £36.95 from TWE What they say: Our single malt was introduced to the market back in 1996 using whisky produced in 1986, the last year that Long John International produced […]
- Ben Nevis 16 Year Old 1998 Strictly Limited ~ 46% (Càrn Mòr) - Whisky Review: Ben Nevis 16 Year Old 1998 Strictly Limited Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ben Nevis Distillery Bottling: Morrison & Mackay; Càrn Mòr – Strictly Limited ABV: 46% Cost: £57.95 from The Whisky Shop Dufftown What they say: This 1998 vintage Ben Nevis has been released as part of Morrison & Mackay’s […]
- Ben Nevis 16 Years Old 1997 – The Rare Casks Release 3 ~ 55% (Abbey Whisky) - Ben Nevis 16 Years Old The Rare Casks Release 3 96 bottles @ 55% ABV, distilled 1997, bottled 2013, £64.95 for 70cl Score 85/100 What They say: It’s finally here… Release 3 in the Rare Casks series!! We’re delighted to reveal the cask selected as Release 3 in the Rare Casks Series is Ben Nevis, a […]
- Ben Nevis 17 Year Old 1998 ~ 54% (Claxton’s) - Whisky Review: Ben Nevis 17 Year Old 1998 Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ben Nevis Distillery Bottling: Claxton’s ABV: 54% Cost: £89.95 from Claxton’s What they say: Located in incredibly beautiful surroundings, the Ben Nevis Highland distillery in Fort William has had a somewhat torrid history of closures and re-openings since its beginning in […]
- Ben Nevis 17 Years Old Fidra ~ 55.5% (Lockett Bros) - Whisky Review: Ben Nevis 17 Years Old Fidra Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ben Nevis Distillery Bottling: Morrison & Mackay for Lockett Bros ABV: 55.5% Cost: £65 from Lockett Bros What they say: Our latest bottling of our Island label single cask whiskies. This time a Ben Nevis 17yo Single Sherry Butt. Distilled 5th December […]
- Ben Nevis 18 Years Old 1996 ~ 50.6% (Whiskybase) - Ben Nevis 18 Years Old 1996 Highland single malt scotch whisky 50.6% ABV, £62.15 for 70 cl from Whiskybase Score: 90/100 What they say: Bottled in celebration of 60,000 bottles on the wall. Distilled November 1996 at Ben Nevis distillery in the Highlands and matured a full 18 years in a Sherry Butt before bottling […]
- Ben Nevis 19 Year Old 1996 cask 12148 Old Malt Cask ~ 50% (Hunter Laing) - Whisky Review: Ben Nevis 19 Year Old 1996 cask 12148 Old Malt Cask Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Ben Nevis Distillery Bottling: Hunter Laing; Old Malt Cask; Cask 12148 ABV: 50% Cost: [Discontinued] What they say: A single cask independent bottling of 19 year old Ben Nevis single malt Scotch whisky, matured in […]
- Ben Nevis 22 Years Old 1992 – Small Batch ~ 53.5% (Cadenhead’s) - Ben Nevis 22 Years Old 1992 – Small Batch Single malt scotch whisky 53.5% ABV, £77.60 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: This is a bit of gem for those of us who like a big tasting winter whisky with no heavy peat or smoke, allow it to open a little to reveal a […]