Region: Campbeltown, Scotland.
Founded: 1827-1925; 2004
Owner: Mitchell’s Glengyle Ltd.
Water source: Crosshill Loch
Ouput: 0.75 million litres alcohol per annum
Glengyle distillery is a distillery, founded in 1872 by William Mitchell and completed in 1873. Mitchell had previously been involved with Springbank Distillery but following a quarrel with his brother John, with whom he owned Springbank, he first joined his other brothers at Reichlachan distillery before venturing out on his own.
In 1919 the distillery was sold as a result of the post-war economic downturn which was badly affecting all the distilleries in the Campbeltown Region. In 1924 the distillery changed hands again and by 1925 had ceased production with all remaining stock being sold off.
After being used as a rifle range, an attempt to reopen the distillery by Maurice Bloch, who, with his brother, also owned the Glen Scotia distillery, failed due to Second World War as did a second attempt by Campbell Henderson Ltd. in the 1950s.
In late 2000 the company of Mitchell’s Glengyle Ltd. was formed with the express purpose of renovating and rebuilding the Glengyle distillery. Mitchell’s Glengyle is associated with the Springbank Distillery, and both operations come under the guidance of Mr. Hedley Wright, a descendant of the Mitchell Family, the original owners of both businesses.
Over the next four years the buildings were repaired to an adequate standard, being restored in line with the local area and the buildings’ listed status (protected by law). Since the original distillery equipment had been disposed of in the 1920s, new stills, malt mills, a mash tun and washbacks were installed along with all the related equipment. In reality much of this was not new, coming instead from other distilleries which had either ceased production or had surplus equipment. Production at the new Glengyle distillery began in 2004.
Kilkerran (Glengyle) Whisky Reviews:
- Kilkerran 12 Years Old ~ 46% (J & A Mitchell) - Whisky Review: Kilkerran 12 Years Old (Bottled 2016) Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glengyle Distillery Bottling: J & A Mitchell ABV: 46% Cost: £34.95 What they say: Released August 12th 2016 After 12 years and a bundle of Work In Progress bottlings, the first core release of single malt Scotch whisky from the […]
- Kilkerran 8 Years Old Open Day 2016 ~ 56.7% (J & A Mitchell) - Review: Kilkerran 8 Years Old Open Day 2016 Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glengyle Distillery Bottling: J & A Mitchell ABV: 56.7% Cost: £50 Score: 87/100 What they say: We have three exciting bottlings which will be bottled especially for Springbank Open Day 2016. The third bottling is an Open Day special Kilkerran Aged […]
- Kilkerran 9 Years Old Open Day 2015 ~ 58.3% (J & A Mitchell) - Review: Kilkerran 9 Years Old Open Day 2015 Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glengyle Distillery Bottling: J & A Mitchell ABV: 58.3% Cost: £45 for 35cl Score: 86/100 What they say: A half bottle of Kilkerran 9 year old Single Malt, matured in Rum casks and release at the Glengyle Distillery Open Day […]
- Kilkerran Work In Progress 2 ~ 46% (J & A Mitchell) - Kilkerran Work In Progress Batch 2 Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, £45 for 70cl Score: 80/100 What they say: Released in 2010. 18 000 bottles available worldwide. Nose: Light and fragrant leading you into the dram gently. Palate: Refreshing lemon citrus, hints of pear and just a dash of sherbet. Masses of sweet vanilla […]
- Kilkerran Work in Progress 3 ~ 46% (J & A Mitchell) - Kilkerran work in progress 3rd release Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, £31.95 for 70cl Score: 76/100 What they say: The third release from the Mitchell’s Glengyle distillery in Campbeltown. This one was bottled in June 2011, and it has a wonderful honeyed, chocolaty flavour. Nose: Fruity with notes of apples, pears and rich briny […]
- Kilkerran Work In Progress 7 Bourbon Matured ~ 54.1% (J & A Mitchell) - Review: Kilkerran Work In Progress 7 Bourbon Matured Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glengyle Distillery Bottling: Official – J & A Mitchell & Company ABV: 54.1% Cost: £54.95 from Master of Malt [sold out] Score: 89/100 What they say: Released in 2015. Only 6,000 bottles available worldwide. Nose: Green apples mixed with marzipan, hot baked […]