The company was founded in 1988. It is a family owned and managed company, being one of only three true independent bottlers. They always like to draw a distinction between the independent companies who bottle their own products, and the independent companies whose products are bottled under contract. The other fully independent bottlers are: Gordon & MacPhail and Wm. Cadenhead.
The name of Signatory derived from the fact that their initial intention was to find someone famous to sign the labels for bottles produced from one single cask. The first cask we purchased was a cask of 1968 Glenlivet, which was sold long before we could find a famous person.
Until April 1992, when they moved to their current premises in Newhaven (Edinburgh), they operated from a bonded warehouse in Leith. Leith was once a well known port for importing wine from France. As this industry declined, many of the whisky companies began to occupy the old warehouses for cask storage purposes. In recent years, this has also declined, with the larger companies moving to the west of Edinburgh, where transport links are better.
In April 1992, as the company began to grow, they moved to much larger premises. Here, they were granted a licence to bottle their own products on site. They set-up a small line bottling system, primarily geared towards the bottling of single casks. Although the actual bottling of whisky is semi-automated, the emphasis is very much a hands-on operation, with hand labeling and packing of products. To add to the exclusivity of their bottlings, they often declare the cask number, date of distillation,and date of bottling on our labels. In addition,each bottle is individually hand numbered.
It is their aim, as an independent bottler to offer a range of whiskies, some of which are not bottled by the proprietor of a particular distillery, and some at different ages/strengths to those offered as distillery bottlings. The majority of their bottlings are the product of single casks, with the malt whisky enthusiast being given the opportunity to sample the subtle differences which occur with each different cask.
Signatory owns the smallest distillery from Scotland, Edradour since 22 july 2002
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
Cask Strength Collection
- Bunnahabhain 16 Years Old 1997 Cask Strength Collection (50.3%, Signatory, Heavily Peated, HH #5512, 285 Bottles, 2014)
- Cambus 21 Years Old 1991 ~ 50.5% (Signatory)
- Cambus 22 Years Old 1991 ~ 53.8% (Signatory)
- Clynelish 20 Years Old 1995 Cask Strength Collection (53.2%, Signatory, Refill Sherry Butt #8636, 626 Bottles, 2016)
- Imperial 19 Year Old 1995 Cask Strength Collection (54.6%, Signatory, Cask #50164, 273 Bottles, 2015)
- Mortlach 23 Years Old 1990 Cask Strength Collection (54.5%, Signatory, Sherry Butt #6074, 569 Bottles, 2014)
- Edradour 11 Years Old 2002 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, Sherry Butt #1206, 932 Bottles 2014)
- Glenlivet 17 Years Old 1996 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, 1st Fill Sherry Butt #165161, 817 Bottles, 2014)
- Imperial 16 Years Old 1995 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, HHs #50324+50325, 739 Bottles, 2012)
- Imperial 17 Years Old 1995 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, HH’s #50336+50337, 718 bottles, 2013)
- Imperial 18 Years Old 1995 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, HHs #50284 & 50285, 711 Bottles, 2014)
- Imperial 18 Years Old 1995 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, HHs #50288+50289, 742 Bottles, 2014)
- Laphroaig 15 Years Old 1998 The Un-Chillfiltered Collection (46%, Signatory, Refill Sherry Butt #700385, 839 Bottles, 2014)
- Craigellachie 13 Years Old 1999 Vintage Collection (43%, Signatory, Bourbon Barrels #142 & 143, 637 Bottles, 2012)
- Glenburgie 17 Years Old 1995 Vintage Collection (43%, Signatory, HHs #6452 & 6453, 882 Bottles, 2013)
- Inchmurrin 15 Years Old 1996 Vintage Collection (43%, Signatory, Refill Butt #28, 599 Bottles, 2012)
- Mortlach 14 Years Old 1999 Vintage Collection (43%, Signatory, HHs #7902 & 7903, 843 Bottles, 2013)
- North British 17 Years Old 1997 – Single Grain Collection ~ 43% (Signatory)
- Water of Life Society Tasting Event #3 Going with the grain