The company was founded in 1988. It is a family owned and managed company, being one of only three true independent bottlers. They always like to draw a distinction between the independent companies who bottle their own products, and the independent companies whose products are bottled under contract. The other fully independent bottlers are: Gordon & MacPhail and Wm. Cadenhead.
The name of Signatory derived from the fact that their initial intention was to find someone famous to sign the labels for bottles produced from one single cask. The first cask we purchased was a cask of 1968 Glenlivet, which was sold long before we could find a famous person.
Until April 1992, when they moved to their current premises in Newhaven (Edinburgh), they operated from a bonded warehouse in Leith. Leith was once a well known port for importing wine from France. As this industry declined, many of the whisky companies began to occupy the old warehouses for cask storage purposes. In recent years, this has also declined, with the larger companies moving to the west of Edinburgh, where transport links are better.
In April 1992, as the company began to grow, they moved to much larger premises. Here, they were granted a licence to bottle their own products on site. They set-up a small line bottling system, primarily geared towards the bottling of single casks. Although the actual bottling of whisky is semi-automated, the emphasis is very much a hands-on operation, with hand labeling and packing of products. To add to the exclusivity of their bottlings, they often declare the cask number, date of distillation,and date of bottling on our labels. In addition,each bottle is individually hand numbered.
It is their aim, as an independent bottler to offer a range of whiskies, some of which are not bottled by the proprietor of a particular distillery, and some at different ages/strengths to those offered as distillery bottlings. The majority of their bottlings are the product of single casks, with the malt whisky enthusiast being given the opportunity to sample the subtle differences which occur with each different cask.
Signatory owns the smallest distillery from Scotland, Edradour since 22 july 2002
Signatory Whisky Reviews
- Bunnahabhain 16 Years Old 1997 Heavily Peated #5512 ~ 50.3% (Signatory) - Bunnahabhain 16 Years Old 1997 Heavily Peated #5512 ~ 50.3% (Signatory) 50.3% ABV, £79.95 available from Royal Mile Whiskies Score: 84/100 What they say: Distilled on 11/12/1997 and matured in a single hogshead cask #5512 this produced 285 bottles on outturn on 09/05/2014. Tasting notes from the RMW staff Nose: Heavy and rich with a sensible […]
- Cambus 21 Years Old 1991 ~ 50.5% (Signatory) - Cambus 21 Years Old 1991 50.5% ABV, £64.95 for 70cl Score: 76/100 What they say: A single grain whisky from Signatory presented at full cask strength. Distilled in July 1991, it was bottled in December 2012 after a 21 year maturation period. Cask No 55886, yielding 468 bottles at 50.5% ABV. What I say: Dram […]
- Cambus 22 Years Old 1991 ~ 53.8% (Signatory) - Cambus 22 Years Old 1991 Scottish single grain whisky 53.8% ABV, £70.65 for 70cl Score: 77/100 What they say: A rare Cambus single grain Scotch whisky, which has been bottled by Signatory for their Cask Strength Collection. It was distilled in July 1991, 2 years before the distillery was closed, and bottled in October 2013. […]
- Clynelish 14 Years Old 1998 Cask 2460 & 2461 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Review: Clynelish 14 Years Old 1998 casks 2460 & 2461 (Signatory) Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish Distillery Bottling: Signatory casks 2460 & 2461 ABV: 43% Cost: £35.06 from Master of Malt Score: 86/100 What they say: A Clynelish from two single casks (2460 and 2461) yielding 821 bottles. Distilled 18th February 1998. […]
- Clynelish 20 Years Old 1995 Cask 8636 Cask Strength ~ 53.2% (Signatory) - Whisky Review: Clynelish 20 Years Old 1995 Cask 8636 Cask Strength Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky Origin: Clynelish Distillery Bottling: Signatory, Cask 8636 ABV: 53.2% Cost: £77.49 What they say: Distilled 26/09/1995 at Clynelish distillery and matured for over 20 years in refill sherry butt #8636 before bottling 16/03/2016, producing 626 bottles at cask […]
- Craigellachie 13 Years Old 1999 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Craigellachie 13 Years Old 1999 Speyside single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, £36.67 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Distilled on the 30th August 1999, this is a 13 year old, bourbon barrel-matured Craigellachie. It was bottled for Signatory in September 2012. Nose: Spiced and rich with notes of pear drops and apple peel. […]
- Glenburgie 17 Years Old 1995 Cask 6452 & 6453 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Review: Glenburgie 17 Years Old 1995 Cask 6452 & 6453 (Signatory) Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Glenburgie Distillery Bottling: Signatory casks 6452 & 6453 ABV: 43% Cost: £43.51 from Master of Malt [sold out] Score: 87/100 What they say: Glenburgie aged for 17 years by independent bottler Signatory, taken from two hogsheads. What I say: Another Signatory […]
- Glenlivet 17 Years Old 1996 Cask #165161 ~ 46% (Signatory) - Glenlivet 17 Years Old 1996 Cask #165161 Speyside single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV, £44 for 70cl Score: 89/100 What they say: Distilled 5th November 1996 and matured a full 17 years in a first-fill ex-sherry butt #165161, this was bottled as part of Signatory’s Unchillfiltered range at 46% ABV on the 2nd October 2014 […]
- Inchmurrin 15 Years Old 1996 – Cask 28 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Inchmurrin 15 Years Old 1996 – Cask 28 Single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, £36 for 70cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Inchmurrin is the name of one of the various styles of whisky distilled at Loch Lomond. This particular expression was distilled on the 18th November 1996 and was aged in refill butt 21 […]
- Laphroaig 15 Years Old 1998 UCF ~ 46% (Signatory) - Laphroaig 15 Years Old 1998 Unchillfiltered Islay single malt scotch whisky 46% ABV Score: 85/100 What they say: One for fans of bold, uncompromising and peaty whiskies! Bottled in July 2014 and matured in a refill sherry butt. Limited to 828 bottles. We’ve seen an ever-increasing number of young Islays, but not much (or enough) from […]
- Mortlach 14 Years Old 1999 Casks 7902 & 7903 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Mortlach 14 Years Old 1999 Casks 7902 & 7903 Speyside single malt scotch whisky 43% ABV, £35 for 70cl Score: 86/100 What they say: This is a 14 year old expression, distilled by Mortlach in May 1999, matured in two hogshead casks and bottled by Signatory in December 2013 with an outturn of 843 bottles. […]
- Mortlach 23 Years Old 1990 [Cask #6074] – Cask Strength ~ 54.5% (Signatory) - Mortlach 23 Years Old 1990 [Cask #6074] – Cask Strength Single malt scotch whisky 54.5% ABV, £89.95 for 70 cl available from Royal Mile Whiskies Score: 84/100 What they say: Distilled: 17/09/1990 Bottled: 17/02/2014 Age: 23 years Cask Type: Sherry Butt Cask Number: 6074 Limited to 569 bottles What I say: Sampled at the Water […]
- Strathmill 17 Year Old 1995 casks 2663+2664 ~ 43% (Signatory) - Review: Strathmill 17 Year Old 1995 casks 2663+2664 Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Strathmill distillery Bottling: Signatory ABV: 43% Cost: £35 What they say: This independent bottling of Strathmill single malt Scotch whisky was drawn from casks 2663 and 2664 after their nice, long slumber of 17 years by Signatory in March 2013. […]