North of Scotland


  • Founded: 1957
  • Status: Closed 1980, Demolished
  • Region: Alloa
  • Online: n/a

History Converted from Forth Brewery in Cambus in 1957, North of Scotland was producing grain whisky from its three patent stills, which had the capacity to distil 2,700 litres of wash per hour, and malt whisky from its two copper pot stills. The malt set-up was called Strathmore. Following the deaths of the distillery’s directors in the 1970s, and troubled by the overproduction of whisky at the time, North of Scotland closed in 1980 and the distillery and buildings were sold as a silent entity to DCL in 1982.


The Whiskyphiles tasting notes


Official Bottling



Independent Bottling


Pearls of Scotland