Aber Falls 2nd Release (Autumn 2021)
What they say
The Aber Falls Single Malt Welsh Whisky has been years in the making, from the first whisky distillery in North Wales in over 100 years. This rich and full-bodied whisky, crafted meticulously with passion to achieve distinct flavour profiles, is a fine liquid that we’re proud to permanently add to our portfolio of award-winning spirits.
Official tasting notes
This amber gold whisky has an aroma of vanilla and toffee, candied citrus fruits, and fig and sultana; all balanced with a gentle hint of clove. On the palate, experience sweet sherry notes with dried fruit and spice, complemented by forest fruit flavours, creamy malt, nuts, dark chocolate and espresso. Enjoy a long and lingering dried fruit finish with a subtle sense of spice.
What I say
Thanks to the Pour and Sip Club* for celebrating their 1st Birthday and also providing me with my first chance to sample Aber Falls distillery. Aber Falls was established by Halewood International as their Welsh distillery alongside Bankhall in Blackpool and their Bonnington distillery in Leith – which I recently had the chance to visit. This expression has been distilled in their combination of copper pot and stainless steel stills and matured in ex-Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez sherry casks, as well as ex-bourbon and virgin oak casks.
*Pour and Sip club members are eligible for a discounted price here.
- ABV 40%
- Age NAS
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Autumn 2021
- Cask Mixed
- Category Single malt whisky
- Cost £26*
- Origin Aber Falls Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Wales
- Released 2021
- Vintage undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Amber gold (8/20), oily, thick legs and large tears.
- Nose Musty fruit, vanilla, pear, apple, peach, toffee, herbal, almost pineapple, malty barley, some spiced spirits behind, oak wood, pastry or biscuits, digestives, flapjacks, lemon oil.
- Taste Medium-bodied, smooth, doughy/yeasty almost beer-like, apple pie, some white pepper spice, oak wood, acorns, five spice powder, sweet and hot/prickly, again that tart pineapple (cooked/on a pizza!), malty barley and porridge.
- Finish Medium-long, medicinal toffees, sweet, thyme, sage/herb honey, caramel apple granny.
- Overall Smooth and surprisingly complex (written without prior knowledge of the cask make-up here) suggesting an interesting cask mixture that is working really well and manages to avoid that young/forced (STR!) feeling. There is a good sweet herbality present here too which is very enjoyable. Well done!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review