Coal Ila 12 Years Old Feis Ile 2021
What they say
Caol Ila Fèis Ìle 2021 – 12 Year Old
The Caol Ila festival bottling has been matured in refill American-Oak and finished in high char Moscatel-seasoned casks. Fèis Ìle Caol Ila 12 Year-Old is bottled at 56.6% ABV, with only 3,000 bottles available. It will retail from £130 per 70cl. Available to purchase at Lagavulin Distillery and malts.com.
Samuel Hale, Caol Ila Distillery Manager said, “This will be my first festival as distillery manager of Caol Ila and although we are unable to host the event in Islay, we wanted to continue to honour the occasion with not only a wonderful online event but also by creating a remarkable bottling. We’re sure it’s going to be extremely popular with Caol Ila fans.”
Vigorous and spicy, Fèis Ìle Caol Ila 12 Year-Old carries intense fruit notes and unusual floral traits from the nose to the finish. This rare release opens on the nose with a light green, faintly herbal top note, followed by lush scented fruit of sweet grapes and ripe peach. At natural strength, this luscious malt has a creamy-smooth texture intensely sweet to begin but quickly balanced with tones of pepper spice, a hint of salt and more rich fruit to develop a racy and embracing warmth. The finish is elegantly long with tangy and drying notes, leaving a lovely smoky aftertaste.
Official Tasting notes
Clear gold with green lights. Chablis. Good beading and long, slow legs.
Medium to full.
Complex, unfurling in stages after light early prickle. A lightly green, faintly herbal top note. Soon, lush with scented fruit; as with sweet eating grapes, or a ripe fresh peach. Part of an alfresco picnic in a summer garden. Beneath this, a spicy woody note and faint notes of char from an extinguished bonfire. Water brings up a striking earthy yet floral note; there are newly planted geraniums in the garden. Later, more pungent, with typical hints of freshness and cleanliness.
At natural strength, lively yet creamy-smooth in texture, intensely sweet to begin and balancing this with notes of pepper spice, a hint of salt and more rich fruit, to develop a racy and embracing warmth. Easy to enjoy straight. A dash of water softens the spice but keeps the smooth texture, rich sweetness and vibrant intensity.
Quite long, still intensely tangy and drying, with that spicy warmth growing gently to leave a lovely, finally smoky aftertaste. Similar with water.
What I say
Caol Ila’s Feis Ile 2021festival bottling has been matured for 12 years and finished in high-char, Moscatel-wine seasoned casks.
- ABV 56.6%
- Age 12 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Feis Ile 2021
- Cask Charred Moscatel Wine Finish
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £130
- Origin Caol Ila Distillery
- Outturn 3000 bottles
- Region Islay
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Champagne gold (4/20) slow, beaded, medium-fine tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose Sweet and dry smoke, Classic Caol Ila, dusty, ashen, peat & wood smoke, cereal barley malt, lemon citrus, sweet candied peel, lemon meringue pie, white grape and peach.
- Taste Full-bodied, syrupy, sweet, dessert wine, white grapes, galia melon, some prickle of spice, chilli flakes then earthy and peaty, eucalyptus, sea spray, cereal malted barley, peach, apricot and golden raisins.
- Finish Medium-long, sweet then drying, peppery peat and sweet wood smoke persist.
- Overall Delicious sweet and char notes plus some extra fruits from the Moscatel wine cask boost classic Coal Ila sweet smoke flavours. Rich with plenty of depth and stewed and dried fruits.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt