Port Askaig 12 Years Old Autumn Edition
- ABV: 45.8%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: Elixir Distillers, Port Askaig
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £72.95 available from The Whisky Exchange
- Origin: undisclosed Islay
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
The limited-edition Autumn Edition Port Askaig 12 Year Old single malt is a combination of nine refill American oak hogsheads, five oloroso sherry butts and three solera sherry butts, bottled in 2020.
Official tasting notes:
- Aromas of cranberries, smoky bacon, black cherries and Christmas pudding fill the nose. The palate offers notes of red grapes, smouldering driftwood, dry seaweed, cherry tomatoes and hawthorn berries.
What I say
Sampled during the WOLS Elixir Distillers tasting hosted by their Brand Ambassador Julie Hamilton. Dram #6 even more peated Islay!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Sauternes (8/20), medium tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Funky, musty then peaty smoke, salinity/sea breeze, nutty, flor, sticky toffee pudding, dried figs.
- Taste: Funky again on the palate, peaty, earthy/turfy, mushroom, dried fruits, Christmas pudding, brazil nut.
- Finish: Long, peaty, musty, smouldering damp wood.
Totally different to the Spring edition, matured in ex-sherry butts and solera casks much more funky and nutty than fruity there was more than a little funky old cask in this on, even with all the peat influence I found myself preferring the sweetness of the bourbon/Spring edition.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review