Rebel Yell Cognac Cask Finish (45%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 45%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, Lux Row Distillers
- Category: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Cost: £34.00
- Origin: Undisclosed
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Rebel Bourbon Cognac Cask Finish: Produced using Rebel Bourbon which was initially matured in white oak charred barrels for 4 years, before being finished in Cognac casks for 6 months. Limited to 6,000 bottles, Rebel Bourbon Cognac Cask Finish, is the second release in the brands Cask Finish series (following on from their 2019 French Oak Cask Finish) which is exclusive to the UK and Europe.
What I say
Sampled as part of the #LuxRowWhiskey Tweet tasting with Steve @TheWhiskyWire. An unusual Bourbon given that it is finished in ex-Cognac casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full amber gold (10/20), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Sweet and woody, a little polished, honey, apple and peach, vanilla, toffee-coated and buttered popcorn, some sweet woody spice, chervil?
- Taste: Light-medium bodied, sweet and spiced, more woody with cedar, chocolate, toffee, caramel, cooked apples, apple strudel and custard, maraschino cherry and candied orange peel.
- Finish: Medium-long, drying sweet and spiced, honey with cinnamon
Slightly spiced and dessert-like Bourbon, the cognac cask finish has subdued some of the sweetness and given a richer, woodier and slightly festive spice feel to this one.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review