Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon (47%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 47%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey
- Cost: £48.95
- Origin: Heaven Hill distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
The signature Bourbon bearing the name of Rev. Elijah Craig, a Bourbon pioneer who is credited with being the first distiller to age his whiskey in charred oak barrels.
Long before the term Small Batch even existed, our Master Distillers were hand-selecting just the right number of barrels to make Elijah Craig. This expertise and attention to detail give Elijah Craig Small Batch the right balance of rich flavor and full body. Each small batch carries a signature warm spice and subtle smoke flavor. A combination that belongs in any Bourbon fan’s regular rotation.
Official tasting notes:
- Color: Burnished copper
- Nose: Delightfully complex with notes of vanilla bean, sweet fruit, and fresh mint
- Taste: Smooth and warm; pleasantly woody with accents of spice, smoke, and nutmeg
- Finish: Long, sweet, and slightly toasty
What I say
Dram #3 from Edinburgh University Water of Life Society tasting 102 ‘Types of whisky’. Blind I was a little lost between blended scotch and bourbon, eventually I settled on a bourbon with possibly high rye or wheat content?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Bordeaux (14/20) quick, medium-large tears leave medium legs
- Nose: Sweet, spirity, vanilla, caramel, fruity apple and lemon, herbal and minty.
- Taste: Spirity, fruity apple and pear, tannic and woody, herbal, clove, cinnamon, becomes bitter like liqourice.
- Finish: Short with cinnamon and treacle.
Another sample at Elijah Craig small batch and yet further disappointment, sadly this just doesn’t cut it like the 12yo did.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
(47%, OB, 2020)