Heaven Hill 10 Years Old 2009 (62.5%, The Single Cask, Virgin Barrel #152724, 130 Bottles, 2019)
- ABV: 62.5%
- Age: 10 Years Old
- Bottling: The Single Cask
- Category: American corn whiskey
- Cost: £75 available from The Single Cask
- Origin: Heaven Hill distillery
- Vintage: 2009
What they say
After prohibition was repealed with the 21st Amendment, there were only a few whiskey distillers in America who re-started their operations. The Shapria brothers spotted an opportunity and bought a plot of land in Kentucky, bourbon’s heartland. The business grew to have the largest roster of whisky brands in America. This cask comes from one of their sprawling warehouse and we think it’s an example just how great American whiskey can be.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Rich apricots, vanilla and black pepper with undertones of orange, dark chocolate and malt.
- Palate: Bananas dipped in dark chocolate and topped with caramel, almonds and vanilla.
- Finish: Long and malty with echoes of banana, caramel, coffee and dark chocolates.
What I say
A 10 year old single cask from Heaven Hill distillery. I have a suspicion I have sampled this previously at one of the various whisky festivals and was also struck at the time by the same findings below.
This post was sponsored by The Single Cask by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright amber gold (9/20), medium-fine tears and tapered legs.
- Nose: Corn syrup, polish, solventy and sweet, cooked cereal mash, vanilla, green banana, toffee oak wood, milk chocolate, caramel almost maple syrup and a hint of undefined fruit.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, touch oily and spirity, caramel, green & fried banana, black pepper, ginger & chilli spice, with water softer caramel.
- Finish: Long, drying, touch of leather & dark chocolate.
Closed and a little difficult at cask strength, a little water softens and opens up this one. Plenty of caramel and a hint of fruit but overall this is very palate-neutral.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review