Glenrothes 21 Years Old 1993 Kumquat Cluster (46%, Wemyss Malts, Sherry Butt #3343, 730 Bottles, 2014)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 21 Years Old
- Bottling: Wemyss Malts
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £sold out
- Origin: Glenrothes distillery
- Vintage: 1993
What they say
Sampled from The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar by Secret Spirits
The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar
Become gift-giver of the year! (Even if you give it to YOURSELF)…
We travel to Scotland every year to hand-pick every barrel of Scotch that makes it into this extraordinarily rare advent calendar.
The majority of the whiskies in this calendar have never been tasted before, and will not be tasted again.
These bottles of cask-strength Scotch (along with a few blended malts that were too incredible to pass up) are exclusive to our calendar.
Go on a journey of Mystery, Discovery and Delight with this rare selection of whiskies, and you won’t return the same…
Each Edition comes with:
- 25 share-sized bottles (50ml) of one-of-a-kind Scotch Whiskies
- Edition Unique Whisky tasting glass
- Keepsake tasting note booklet
- Feature distillery postcard
- Collector’s lapel pin
Tasting notes from Jonathan Bray:
- Colour: Very Light for 21 years old especially in a sherry butt which leads me to believe that it was second or third fill. Polished 18k gold.
- Nose: Wow certainly some big citrus hits there I can see why the Wemyss crew found consensus in this name. Tropical citrus i.e. Kumquat is very apt. Oak influence is soft on this whisky. Poached Kumquats in sweet Riesling and cream reduction.
- Palate: Oh so soft… tropical fruits continue with a faint touch of pink grapefruit, lady finger bananas and thinly sliced warmed kumquat rounds.
- Finish: Elegant would be a good word to describe this whisky. Must be easy for Wemyss to find flavour descriptors for whiskies when it is this prevalent. The finish is long and the little Asian citrus just rolls right along even intensifying a little as you sit and think about it.
What I say
*Spoiler Alert* This sample was from The Scotch Whisky Advent Calendar 5th Edition (2015).
Distilled at Glenrothes distillery in Speyside in 1993 and matured for 21 years in a sherry butt #3343 and bottled by Wemyss Malts named ” Kumquat Cluster”
This post was sponsored by Secret Spirits by provision of a sample of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Mid-gold (7/20), quick, medium tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose: Dusty and fruity, yellow plum, citrus, tropical, grapefruit, clementine, soft spices; nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Taste: Medium-bodied, smooth and creamy fruit, passion fruit cheesecake, buttery biscuit base – digestives and Nice biscuit, mango sorbet, creamy with a touch of grapefruit peel.
- Finish: Long, sweet fruity and zesty – more sorbet.
A superb tropical fruit and cream dessert of a whisky, reminding me of some fantastic home-made cheesecakes.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review